Red Balled Drive

Hi all,

First time this has happened.  One of my WD20EARS has red balled. It is connected to a IT flashed m1015 controller and am running 5rc3 with Simplefeatures. I have attached the syslog and also disk reports. Has the disk actually failed (only about a year old) or is this an error as a result of the controller card?

Also any advice on next steps would be great. I have already unassigned and reassigned and rebuit data but still red balled.

Cheers.

EDIT: syslog too large so pasted here

disk_details.txt

It did get a write error, which is the cause for disabling the disk, but it looks like it happened immediately after your server woke up from S3 sleep.  "S3 sleep" is not officially supported at this time precisely because of issues like this - it's hard enough getting drivers that work normally.

To "un-disable" this drive, do this:

1. Stop array

2. "unassign" the drive on the Main page

3. Start array - server should come up with that drive showing as missing (but array will still start).

4. Stop array

5. "assign" the drive back

6. Start array - server should start a Reconstruct to that drive - let it run and see if any errors happen again

The Stop/unassign/Start/Stop/assign sequence is necessary because unassigning the drive makes unRaid forget the model/serial previously installed there, so when you re-assign it at step 5, unRaid thinks it's a new drive.  Make sense?

storm-  don't think that because the drive is less than 1 year old that it couldn't have an issue.  I had that same model drive for about 2-3 weeks and it red balled and failed smart tests.  replaced immediately.

So true, I RMAd 3 WD20EARSs within 6 months after purchase last year. A red ball doesn't neccesarrily mean a drive-failure though, just that a write failed.