Move to Norco RPC-2212

I'm going to put this in the compulsive design area...because I have no good reason for thinking about porting my 6-drive, ARK 4U-500 case (http://www.arktechinc.net/server-case/4u-rackmount/4u-ipc-4u500.html) to a Norco RPC-2212, except that I want to (well, and I do double my hot-swap capacity, and I like the idea of the slim-line 2U case). However, I have some questions:

I'll be able to keep most of my parts: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H board, chip, RAM (natch); but my Corsair TX-650 won't fit in a 2U case, and there will be no need for my iStar BPU-350SATA 5-in-3 hot-swap cage (http://istarusa.com/istarusa/products.php?model=BPU-350SATA). What's the market going to be like for this really good, starter set-up: ~$300 in parts, that anyone getting into the unRAID game for the first time could use. Can I expect to recoup even say $100? (this is not an ad...just trying to gauge if moving to the RPC-2212...again, for no good reason...is going to mean throwing my previous...perfectly good case, psu, and 5-in-3 cage into the garbage.)

What about a good 2U PSU for the RPC-2212; any suggestions, so I can gauge the cost there on the one new part I'll need? I'll probably keep this thread alive, for some build questions too. I went from the ARK, to a Norco 4020 at one point...and back to the ARK; so I'm not a novice, but hardly an expert either. So I always have questions when I hunker down for a new build or port. Thanks!

CD

Admittedly, I think I'm in the wrong area; I am not nearly as hardcore as most appear to be in the compulsive build forum (and fwiw, I've asked the mods to move me to a more appropriate place). But I have just pulled the trigger on an RPC-2212.

As I said in my OP, most of my parts will port from my current 4u build...but of course the PSU will not. So I need some advice on that. I'm looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338060 ; any thoughts? Should 400w do me, for 12 drives?

Thanks,

CD

That Athena Power PSU offers only 11A for HDD power, which means that it is only good for 5 Green drives and even fewer 7200 RPM drives. It won't work for 12 drives.

Look for a 2U PSU with a large single +12V rail. They are hard to find (I know, I've looked), but Newegg should have a few.

I know you've already purchased the new chassis, but if you have the option of a 3U or 4U chassis things will be much easier for you.

That Athena Power PSU offers only 11A for HDD power, which means that it is only good for 5 Green drives and even fewer 7200 RPM drives. It won't work for 12 drives.

Look for a 2U PSU with a large single +12V rail. They are hard to find (I know, I've looked), but Newegg should have a few.

I know you've already purchased the new chassis, but if you have the option of a 3U or 4U chassis things will be much easier for you.

Easier? To be sure; but I already have a 4u case, and the grass is always greener  :-[

I wasn't thinking of the cost of a new PSU. But I'm stuck now, so...I don't know anything about voltage measurements? According to the unRAID PSU thread, you should shoot for 2 amps pre green drive, 3 otherwise...and 5 for the motherboard. So...12 drives; presumably, most of them green...that puts me somewhere in the 30-35 range. I'd rather be safe than sorry...but I'd also prefer to spend as little as possible.

So what's something like this mean +5V@25A, +12V@40A, [email protected], +3.3V@25A, [email protected] on this Athena number http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338093 ? Athena or iStar?

Thanks,

CD

Your motherboard doesn't have PCI-X slots, so no, that wouldn't work. If you want to go newegg, you'd want http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358

D'oh; right you are! At first I was bummed; thinking pci-x was "superior" to pci-express...but it's not, right? Pci-express is actually newer and "better"?

So, obviously...I don't have a whole lot of experience with this kind of expansion, and SAS cards, etc. I did take a run at porting to a 4020 once...but never got past 2 sets of reverse break-outs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033&Tpk=norco%20reverse, and the 6 drives I could run off my board (before I went back to my current build).

So...with the card above; I get 2 mini-SAS...which will run 2 of the 3 rpc-2212 backplanes (or a total of 8 drives)? And then I need what...a cable like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228055 to connect?

Thanks, CD

D'oh; right you are! At first I was bummed; thinking pci-x was "superior" to pci-express...but it's not, right? Pci-express is actually newer and "better"?

They are definatly very different, to which is better, I am not sure, but PCI-E (express) seems to have won out on that.

So...with the card above; I get 2 mini-SAS...which will run 2 of the 3 rpc-2212 backplanes (or a total of 8 drives)? And then I need what...a cable like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228055 to connect?

Yes, you'd need such cables and would be able to run the 8 drives, and with the reverse breakout cable you  could run the other 4 to the motherboard.

So now you're going the right way :)

The move so far. Nothing exciting; just the board and new PSU. Waiting on a reverse-breakout; then I need to decide on a RAID card.

Looking good, got any more photos? How's the new PSU look? You can tell decent quality PSUs as soon as you pick them up as they should be quite "weighty."

The move so far. Nothing exciting; just the board and new PSU. Waiting on a reverse-breakout; then I need to decide on a RAID card.

Looking good, got any more photos? How's the new PSU look? You can tell decent quality PSUs as soon as you pick them up as they should be quite "weighty."

Yup; that's exactly what it is. I was quite surprised, when I picked up the box; shipping weight was 6 lbs, with just the PSU inside. I feel like it'll be fine.

Not much to shoot to this point. Moved the MoBo, and set the PSU inside. Waiting on the reverse-breakout to start hooking things up. I'll take more pics then.

CD

OMG; I'm just about to put together my new build (porting to an RPC-2212 case http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21463.0), and I think I have the wrong Controller card?

I had read some comments about the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (which I got) vs. AOC-SAS2LP-MV2...and how the SAS2 handled larger drives, etc. I wasn't so concerned about drives above 2T (at least for now...although it would be nice to "future-proof")...but now am I reading correctly; the SASLP only handles 4 drives...as opposed to the SAS2 handles 8??

I just assumed, because it had (2) SFF-8087s, that each handled 4 drives...for a total of 8 (also, specs say "external connectors...8 x SAS"; obviously, I don't know my way around these cards very well). So let me get this straight: if it's true, the SAS2 handles more and bigger drives, and it turns out it's slightly cheaper!? Did I make a HUGE mistake with my choice??

I haven't installed it yet (although I cracked the package open last night); should I be looking to return the SAS for the SAS2?

Thanks,

CD

OMG; I'm just about to put together my new build (porting to an RPC-2212 case http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21463.0), and I think I have the wrong Controller card?

I had read some comments about the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (which I got) vs. AOC-SAS2LP-MV2...and how the SAS2 handled larger drives, etc. I wasn't so concerned about drives above 2T (at least for now...although it would be nice to "future-proof")...but now am I reading correctly; the SASLP only handles 4 drives...as opposed to the SAS2 handles 8??

I just assumed, because it had (2) SFF-8087s, that each handled 4 drives...for a total of 8 (also, specs say "external connectors...8 x SAS"; obviously, I don't know my way around these cards very well). So let me get this straight: if it's true, the SAS2 handles more and bigger drives, and it turns out it's slightly cheaper!? Did I make a HUGE mistake with my choice??

I haven't installed it yet (although I cracked the package open last night); should I be looking to return the SAS for the SAS2?

Thanks,

CD

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 can handle 4 drive in each port, which makes it 8 drives total.  You can use larger drives depending on the FW you've got.  I believe you will need FW 2.1 to use drives larger than 2TB.

Thanks,

CD

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 can handle 4 drive in each port, which makes it 8 drives total.  You can use larger drives depending on the FW you've got.  I believe you will need FW 2.1 to use drives larger than 2TB.

Thanks GFO; I'm wringing my hands, but trying to make a quick decision. Do I halt my build, RMA the SASLP and trade-up to the SAS2...or just "Settle" for the SASLP?

I know no one can answer that for me...but I guess what I'm asking are, what are the downsides of the SASLP? Obviously, all things being equal...you'd want newer, better, faster. OTOH...I know the SAS2 isn't supported unless you go 5.0 (no problem there, as I'd like to...unless it's "challenging" for a relatively basic user like myself). But also...like, are the speeds and advantages theoretical at this point? In other words...do they out-run my parts, or unRAID as a platform?

Thanks,

CD

Both the SASLP and the SAS2LP handle 8 drives. The main difference is the SAS2LP has greater bandwidth. The drivers for the SAS2LP were not included in unRAID until the 5.0 betas (not sure exactly when). Both cards will support larger than 2TB drives, of course that also requires 5.0.