Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Drive keeps being flagged as Unmountable: wrong or no file system

Featured Replies

Three times now I have reformatted a single drive that's in its own pool (as encrypted zfs) because it has randomly come up as Unmountable: wrong or no file system. And it just did it again. It's a new drive, there are no SMART errors. How can I force it to mount correctly? How do I prevent this from happening? This most recent occurrence appears to have happened after a hard shutdown of (loss of power to) the server.

I also noticed that after this hard shutdown the root user's authorized SSH keys were wiped, when before I had no issues with it retaining the keys.

metaverse-diagnostics-20261002-1002.zip

Edited by gusgus

  • Community Expert

Do not format the drive again. Your diagnostics show these errors before the filesystem mount attempt:

No key available with this passphrase.

hdd: Wrong encryption key

The HDD remains locked, so ZFS cannot read the filesystem inside it. This explains the later “wrong or no file system” message.

The same supplied key successfully unlocks your NVMe pool. Was the HDD formatted with the same passphrase or key file? Do you enter it manually after startup, or does a script or plugin supply it automatically? Unraid expects one shared key for all encrypted drives.

Please describe how you supply the key, but do not post the passphrase or key file. If you are certain the original credential is unchanged, we can investigate why the HDD rejects it. The diagnostics do not yet establish that power loss damaged the filesystem.

If you use the exact same passphrase or key file and it sometimes works but sometimes fails, an intermittent hardware problem, such as faulty RAM, is another possibility. I have seen that cause this behavior before. In that situation, a memory test would be a useful next step.

  • Author

The odd part is I have two pools, both formatted as encrypted zfs. They both have the same encryption passphrase. The other pool that I'm not having this problem with is unlocking just fine at bootup as expected. Why would one pool unlock perfectly fine using the keyfile and another pool repeatedly but only occasionally fail to unlock using that same keyfile? Is this still possibly a memory corruption issue? Unless I'm missing something, I would think it's time to file a bug report.

Edited by gusgus

  • Community Expert
9 minutes ago, gusgus said:

Is this still possibly a memory corruption issue?

Most definitely, or another hardware issue.

If it were an unload issue not giving the correct key, both pools would fail to unlock.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.