Understanding split levels

I'm on the latest beta btw.

Let me see if I understand split levels correctly.

My movies folder is organized like this:

Share - > HD -> Movie Title Folder -> Movie Files

That would make the Share split level one, HD would be level 2 and so forth right?

Now, say that I give the share a split level of 2, that would allow level 1 and 2 folders to be on different disks, but force level 3 and up folders to be on the same disks? or would it force the CONTENT of each level 3 folder (and up) to be on the same disk as the level 3 folder?

For the above movie organization, what would you recommend as split level?

Also, my series organization is:

Share -> SD -> TV-Show-Name -> TV-Show-Season -> TV-Show-Season-Episodes

So I guess that what ever split level I choose for the Movies share I could just add 1 to and use that for the TV-Shows share?

And i've read the unofficial wiki, but can't seem to grasp it :(

You pretty much got it...

All directory levels at or above (in folder path) your split level will replicate to all disks (when needed).  Any folder (and contents) after the split level will be copied to a single disk (based on your set rules (high water etc).  Anything added will always go that that disk...

Now, say that I give the share a split level of 2, that would allow level 1 and 2 folders to be on different disks, but force level 3 and up folders to be on the same disks? or would it force the CONTENT of each level 3 folder (and up) to be on the same disk as the level 3 folder?

First scenarios is true... for split level 2, in your case SHARE\HD directories will be on all disks (as needed), anything inside the HD directory will be allotted to a single disk (if another directory, all contents will stay there too).

So in your examples (exactly what I do)...  Split level 2 means

Movie title folders (and contents) will be on a single disk.

TV-Show-Name (and all contents) will be on a single disk (in this case each series will be on a single disk no matter when you add seasons).

I personally opted to not create another share and split-level for shows...  Figured disks are large and few series are sooo large to cause problems, and if they do, I can manually correct the issue in the rare case.  I also used the most disk space method, where files are always copied to the disk with the most space available (unless of course split levels require a certain disk).  That way if a TV series is big and takes up a bunch of space, all the other disks are copied to until they catch up.

What I did to make sense of it all... I just created a sample of 2-3 movies/shows to copied them over to test and check each disk to see what happened.

So, using level 2, if SHARE\HD has 2 folders named FolderA and FolderB, they could be on 2 different disks, but the content of FolderA would ALL be on the same disk, and content of FolderB would ALL be on the same disk, even though FolderA and FolderB aren't on the same disk. or would ALL the content of HD be on the same disk?

....but force level 3 and up folders to be on the same disks? or would it force the CONTENT of each level 3 folder (and up) to be on the same disk as the level 3 folder?....

It will force each individual level 3 and higher folder to remain on a single disk, not all the folders. A different level 3 or higher folder could be placed on a different disk. In other words, each movie folder and all it contents will stay on one single disk. But a different movie folder may go to a different single disk.

If you use level 3 for the TV share then each TV season can be stored on multiple disks, but each season of the TV series will be on a single disk.

You could also use split level 0 and then create the top level directory structure on each disk. Any new subdirectory inside the structure that you create will be confined to a single disk. Level 0 basically means that every directory will only be created on a single disk. However, if you want the directory to be on 2 or more disks then you just manually create them.

Split level 2 and your folder structure...  Everything bolded will replicate to all drives.  Any folder/file under those bolded folders will be placed only on a single disk based on your rules (high water etc).  When its a folder, any contents copied to that folder will stay on the same disk as the folder (since it can't be replicated based on split level).

Disk 1

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#1\movie.avi

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#1\fanart.jpg

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#1\Season 1\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#1\Season 1\episode2

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#1\Season 2\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#1\Season 2\episode2

Disk 2

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#2\movie.avi

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#2\fanart.jpg

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 1\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 1\episode2

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 2\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 2\episode2

Lets compare to Split level 3...  Notice how now each TV Series folders are on both disks, but only 1 season is on each?  Also notice that both movie folders are on each disk, with only 1 file on each disk?

Disk 1

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#1\movie.avi

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#2\fanart.jpg

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#1\Season 1\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#1\Season 1\episode2

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 2\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 2\episode2

Disk 2

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#2\movie.avi

UserShare1\HD\MoveTitle#1\fanart.jpg

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 1\episode1

UserShare1\HD\TV-Series-Title#2\Season 1\episode2