Athena Rebuild - Lets get Virtual!

After happily running unRaid for the last year or so, I hit a point where I wanted to do more with the machine.  I tried a few alternatives, but nothing works as well as unRaid does.  So the easiest (being relative) is to install esxi and virtualize my server.

I've read Johnm's server build (thank you!), and fortunately my server build was similar to Johnms, so I have a good starting point.  Having said that though, I do have a few questions... but first the new hardware :) -->

CPU = Intel Xeon E3 1220

Memory = 16GB Kingston Valueram (KVR1333D3D4R9SK2/16GI)

This will allow me to run the following machines (still a work in progress) -->

untangle (router/firewall)

unraid (maxed out with 22-drives)

Win2k8 R2 (domain controller & Apps/CP/SB/SAB)

Win2k8 Storage Server or WHS2011

Windows 7 (test box)

Now for the questions -->

1.  Maximizing drives and drive space --> The norco-4224 has bays for 24 drives, but unRaid only supports 22.  How do I insure that I can use that other drive space for VM's?

2.  Networks cards... should I assign a NIC to each VM?  Assign 2 to untangle, 1 to unraid and 1 to the rest?  I was looking at this card to expand my ports.  Opinions on this would be appreciated.

3.  In Johnm's build, he has used an SSD for his datastore.  This makes sense to me, as it removes a bottleneck.  However, how should I do storage on these machines... just a seperate spinner split between them?

4.  I know one of the NIC's isn't supported by esxi, but can I just pass that to one of the windows systems where it is supported?

5.  Lastly (for now) I assume that esxi has a backup utility for the datastore, is this the case?  If not, how are people backing it up?

I think that's it for now, I'm sure as I narrow down my build I'll have more pointed questions.  Thanks in advance for the help.

~Spritz

CPU = Intel Xeon E3 1220

FYI: When I was looking at Xeon's I had to go with a 1230 to get hyperthreading

2.  Networks cards... should I assign a NIC to each VM?  Assign 2 to untangle, 1 to unraid and 1 to the rest?  I was looking at this card to expand my ports.  Opinions on this would be appreciated.

I wasn't looking for performance so I just use the virtualized switch and don't pass any controllers through to the VMs

3.  In Johnm's build, he has used an SSD for his datastore.  This makes sense to me, as it removes a bottleneck.  However, how should I do storage on these machines... just a seperate spinner split between them?

Remember ESXi doesn't support trim based on Johnm's Atlas thread

4.  I know one of the NIC's isn't supported by esxi, but can I just pass that to one of the windows systems where it is supported?

I created a custom install ISO for my X9SCM-F so that ESXi 5.0 would recognize and use the 82579LM

5.  Lastly (for now) I assume that esxi has a backup utility for the datastore, is this the case?  If not, how are people backing it up?

Not built in that I know of but you can buy one at Veeam.  They also have a free version that may work as well I see.
1.  Maximizing drives and drive space --> The norco-4224 has bays for 24 drives, but unRaid only supports 22.  How do I insure that I can use that other drive space for VM's?

The main thing to remember (i believe John mentions it) is if you are passing through your SATA/SAS controllers to your Unraid VM make sure you have the datastore drives on another controller.

It's probably not nessesary for all. I've just purchased what appears to be the same card for my UnRaid, i am going to try teaming the ports (and then one for my main computer) but i have been running UnRaid+DC+e-mail+2xweb+wsus+ris/wdm+at-least one other VM all on 1xGbit and the only thing that comes close to maxing the connection is UnRaid. If you will have multiple people access UnRaid at the same time then trying to team the connection might be an idea, but keep in mind you need a compatible Switch to do that.

Everything else you want can probably be setup using the vSwitch/networking in ESXi.

I'm not sure if it works like that...Think of it like running a VM on Windows using VMWare Player or MS Virutal PC. You can't passthrough an unknown device to it as the host machine can't identify it correctly.

I'm not 100% sure, but i believe ESXi would be the same

I'm not sure if it works like that...Think of it like running a VM on Windows using VMWare Player or MS Virutal PC. You can't passthrough an unknown device to it as the host machine can't identify it correctly.

I'm not 100% sure, but i believe ESXi would be the same

Actually I think it WILL work.  ESXi doesn't know anything about the tuner card (Hauppauge HVR-2250) I'm passing through to a VM but it works fine.  It even shows up in the passthrough screen as "Unkown Unknown".  The AVer Media Duet tuner shows up as "Philips some #" so I could believe it DOES know something about it but if it can't identify it enough to display a manufacture I've got to believe it knows nothing about it.

Ok, so after taking all the advice, and doing some more shopping around, I think I have come up with a plan for the rebuild.  I've modified my plan to save some money now (home reno's are expensive!), while not impacting my ability to upgrade down the road.

As always, thoughts and comments are welcome!

Memory = KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G - This will give me 24GB total

CPU = Intel E3-1230v2

SSD = Corsair Force Series GT 240GB - This will be my datastore drive

Network Card = Intel Pro/1000 Quad Port Gigabit PCI-E Server Adapter YT674 - Overkill, but I got a great deal...and unTangle suggests assigning 2 ports directly to the VM

I will then setup my drives in the following way -->

Attached to the mobo

Datastore Drive (SSD)

VM Scratch Space (750GB 7200RPM spinner)

Cache/Datastore Backup Drive (Assuming this will work... I will share 1TB as cache, and the other TB to use as backup for the datastores)

PassThough MV8's to Unraid with the rest of my drives.

Hopefully that will work out as planned :D

I would have looked at the corsair performance pro or the its sister from Plextor. the few extra bucks for the enhanced garbage collection would be worth it.

Possibly in the states, but in Canada the "few extra bucks" turns out to be closer to $200 more... when you can find them in stock.  I read quite a few reviews (even some that compare the SanDisk to the Plextor M3), and the Sandisk always came out on top... even with prolonged use :)

I'm happy though that the only comment you had on my re-build was the SSD.  Means I must be on the right track :D