Trendnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Gigabit Switch $24.99 free ship Newegg

ohlwiler

wondering what's the benefit of using a gigabit switch versus direct ethernet cable to the router when accessing the files.

my setup:

unraid server -> ethernet -> router(aiport extreme) -> ethernet -> computer

will this setup be better?

unraid server -> ethernet -> gigabit switch -> ethernet -> computer

and

gigabit switch -> ethernet -> router

how much improvement do i expect from using a gigabit switch?

wondering what's the benefit of using a gigabit switch versus direct ethernet cable to the router when accessing the files.

my setup:

and

This is what I'm wondering too.

I have a gigabit router that gets the gigabit connection.. but I feel like it's not getting the speed that I am expecting it to get.. I get roughly 14 - 16 mb/s when transferring data to unraid machine. I understand that's normal, but the problem I'm having is the speed from the machine. I sometimes get below 10 mb/s.. but then sometimes it goes over 70 mb/s.. I thought it could be a problem with hdd's, but then the speed is not really constant for same files either... This is why I'm guessing that my router may have a slight problem.

For $25 though.. maybe I should just go for it.

my setup:

and

If your router has gigabit ports then you won't see a gain. For example, since my router messed up I'm using an old router that only has 100Mb speeds. When the switch gets here I'll wire the server and any hardwired connections to the gigabit switch, then connect the switch to the router. I'll see a gain(10x theoretical speed) by using the gigabit connection. This will not affect my internet speed because it doesn't come close to maxing the 100Mb cap of the router.

If my router had gigabit, I wouldn't notice a difference because I would already have gigabit connections running to all wired PC's. In that case, the switch would basically just expand your current connection threshold. Typical routers only have 4 LAN ports, adding a switch would bump you up from a max of 4 connected devices to 10 connected devices(10 instead of 12 because one port on the switch would connect to one port on the router, taking up 2 ports with no additional devices connected)

my setup:

and

If your router has gigabit ports then you won't see a gain. For example, since my router messed up I'm using an old router that only has 100Mb speeds. When the switch gets here I'll wire the server and any hardwired connections to the gigabit switch, then connect the switch to the router. I'll see a gain(10x theoretical speed) by using the gigabit connection. This will not affect my internet speed because it doesn't come close to maxing the 100Mb cap of the router.

If my router had gigabit, I wouldn't notice a difference because I would already have gigabit connections running to all wired PC's. In that case, the switch would basically just expand your current connection threshold. Typical routers only have 4 LAN ports, adding a switch would bump you up from a max of 4 connected devices to 10 connected devices(10 instead of 12 because one port on the switch would connect to one port on the router, taking up 2 ports with no additional devices connected)

thanks for the clarification. apple airport extreme do have 3 gigabit ethernet ports. this means that i will not gain much benefit if i dont have devices that need the port.

It seems every time Newegg has a sale on these, Amazon is quick to match the sale. I guess they know people usually do a quick search there before purchasing to see if they can get a better deal!

A lot of times it is a sale initiated by the manufacturer. then it is at the option of the vendor to sell it at the promotion price.

These are nice little switches. I have about 5 of these spread throughout my network at home. I also have the 24 and the 16 port versions of it.

I replaced my Cisco Small Business switches with these. they run ice cold and the Ciscos were hot as heck. the throughput difference is negligible even when push TB through multiple ports at once.

Just got it from ups today, ordered wed night and got it about 1 today so pretty quick this time.

It's always funny to see the big box, inside is alot of padding, paper this time not peanuts, and the actual product box, inside that is a tiny switch. I'm so use to seeing business class switches its amusing to see one smaller than my router.

Haven't had a chance to wire it, I think I'm going to buy a few more 50 ft cat 6 cables and rerun everything so I can hide all the messy wires that are currently underneath the desk.