Need help picking a SuperMicro board

Hello all,

I've been hearing good things about the X9SCM, unfortunately I can't get it in Denmark it seems, we're quite limited in resellers of supermicro here.

I was almost set on the Atom based board, which I can get, but I might need a bit more bang since I also do encodes on the server occasionally.

Here is the list of SuperMicro boards I can get:

http://www.edbpriser.dk/hardware/bundkort.aspx?nf=manufacturer%3aSuperMicro[MultiValSep]%C2%A7&qt=Fql

I was aiming for a future proof server, and was very exited about the IPMI-feature so that is an absolute must.

I have no preferences in regards to cpu, was thinking and i3 should suffice, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help

That store carries the X9SCL-F which is very similar to the X9SCM-F. The main differences are that it uses the C202 chipset vs the C204 so you don't get on board SATA III support(which doesn't even matter for spinning hard disks) and it has one less PCIe 8x slot. It has most the other features though such as the dual NICs and a dedicated IPMI port. With the X9SCM not being available the X9SCL-F is a very close substitute.

...the X8SIL-F is also listed....not top notch but very stable and you can get the i3 or pentium-G CPU for less, maybe.

Also, both NICs do work OOTB with ESXi.

While that board may be stable it's also outdated. If you want compatibility with the latest processors you'll need the one I listed.

Hello all,

I've been hearing good things about the X9SCM, unfortunately I can't get it in Denmark it seems, we're quite limited in resellers of supermicro here.

I was almost set on the Atom based board, which I can get, but I might need a bit more bang since I also do encodes on the server occasionally.

Here is the list of SuperMicro boards I can get:

http://www.edbpriser.dk/hardware/bundkort.aspx?nf=manufacturer%3aSuperMicro[MultiValSep]%C2%A7&qt=Fql

I was aiming for a future proof server, and was very exited about the IPMI-feature so that is an absolute must.

I have no preferences in regards to cpu, was thinking and i3 should suffice, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help

Can't you order from German shops like Amazon? Or even Dutch shops?

Amazon of course, as it is a reputable source without doubt.

...besides, I checked a price-portal that also has a EU-wide listing: http://geizhals.at/eu/645182

As it looks, out of that list, http://www.plexcom.de/Mainboard/Socket-1155/X9SCM-F-Mainboard-Mikro-ATX::41179.html?refID=geizhals

seems OK, since they don't have a bad rating, accept paypal and ship to DK at a reasonable cost.

Edit: I didn't do business with them so far but I use that price-portal a lot...a shop with a bad rating normally would not last long.

oh that's perfect, didnt know there was a EU price listing, that will be helpfull in the future :)

thanks a lot for your help so far guys, any recommendation on cpu/ram to go with the board?

Oh and is there a board that is the new "hot" thing? or is the SCM still the thing to get?

The SCM is still the top dog around here because it supports the latest Ivy bridge chips at a good price.

If you want an i3 I'd go with the new Core i3-3220. If you want to do virtualization I'd go with Xeon E3-1230 V2.

As for RAM I use the Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G in mine and it works great. Go for 8GB if you go with the i3 or 16GB if you go with the Xeon for virtualization.

oh that's perfect, didnt know there was a EU price listing, that will be helpfull in the future :)

thanks a lot for your help so far guys, any recommendation on cpu/ram to go with the board?

Oh and is there a board that is the new "hot" thing? or is the SCM still the thing to get?

I got an E3-1240, and 16 GB Kingston ECC memory for ESXi. If you just want unraid an i3-1220 is sufficient. Maybe even a Celeron G530 or G640.

I got an E3-1240, and 16 GB Kingston ECC memory for ESXi. If you just want unraid an i3-2120 is sufficient. Maybe even a Celeron G530 or G640.

i3-3220 is the new Ivy Bridge version of the 2120 so I'd go for that if you are going the i3 route. Note that you do need ECC memory no matter which processor you get because the board itself requires it.

I went for a Xeon E3-1265L V2 (expensive with  about 270 euro)

It does have video option which you not use with this supermicro board.

My CPU kooler (Noctua NH-U9B SE2) i run with 1  NF-B9 PWM fan never got warm till now. (TDP=45)

So you might want to look at the TDP of each processor and determine what you want also.

There is a E3 Xeon 1220L v2 which is only 17 watts TDP, could use it fanless with a decent colling block.

perhaps interesting is the official intel price list (to compare, absolute prices might differ a bit)

http://www.intc.com/common/download/download.cfm?companyid=INTC&fileid=594431&filekey=373BCCFB-32A8-4DE5-A9EE-452D9DC06DEC&filename=Sept_02_12_Recommended_Customer_Price_List.pdf

I looked up the passmark score for each CPU (if existing)

Processor                                                                                                  price            passmark

i3-2120T (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.60 GHz (35W), 32nm)            $ 117          3054

E3-1220Lv2 (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.30 GHz (17W), 22nm)      $ 189          3381 (+ 10% ?)

E3-1220v2 (8M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3.10 GHz (69W), 22nm)        $ 189          7345

E3-1230v2 (8M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3.30 GHz (69W), 22nm)        $ 215          9642

E3-1240v2 (8M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3.40 GHz (69W), 22nm)        $ 250        10214

E3-1265Lv2 (8M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.50 GHz (45W), 22nm)      $ 294          8823

E3-1270v2 (8M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3.50 GHz (69W), 22nm          $ 328          10181

Depending on where you install the server, the noise level might be important for you.

TDP Higher -> more air to cool it.

Thanks for the helpfull replies, the i3-3220 is half the price of E3-1220Lv2 at local retailers. Also the i3-3220 seems to have a passmark of around 4500 or 4100 for the low power version which is 35 watts.

Noise is not an issue for me, but heat might be, the ambient room temperature is fairly high currently so going fanless is probably not an option. The i3-3220T looks fairly tempting so far :)

• 4 weeks later...

I realize it is totally overkill for a AMD 4P build, this project is meant to be fun as it is rewarding in putting up great points for our team and searching for cures.

What? ???

Sure it made sense in some language pre-translation... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD