I'm currently running 4.7 without any issues for 165 days of uptime (including a power failure). I am going to be in need of some more space here in the not too distant future. I currently have 9 drives. (2) 2TB, (6) 1.5TB, and 80GB cache. Obviously one of the 2TB is the parity drive.  I am capable of having 20 drives in total in my current system.  I am considering adding a 2TB for extra data or adding a 3TB as the Parity and moving the current 2TB parity to a data drive. Either way I still going to add 2TB drive as data but with the possibility of having the 3TB for any future upgrades. Since I have had such success with 4.7 I am wary of updating to any of the 5.0 RC for fear that it simply won't work. From my experience with electronics and such I have the philosophy of "If it works don't upgrade it". Am I being paranoid about updating? Should I just wait it out for the official release? Or should I just go with another 2TB?

Thanks!

For reference I have:

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller

and Two generic (but recommended) PCI and PCIE sata cards.

It's up to you. It will always be a risk upgrading to A new version that either isnt out or is newly out.

I've recently upgraded to 5 release candidate and the process was suprisingly easy.

If you want 3TB you've got no choice really.

I'm upgrading my drives in the very near future and I'm going to stick 3TB in all my slots and get rid of my old drives on eBay.

I'm currently running 4.7 without any issues for 165 days of uptime (including a power failure). I am going to be in need of some more space here in the not too distant future. I currently have 9 drives. (2) 2TB, (6) 1.5TB, and 80GB cache. Obviously one of the 2TB is the parity drive.  I am capable of having 20 drives in total in my current system.  I am considering adding a 2TB for extra data or adding a 3TB as the Parity and moving the current 2TB parity to a data drive. Either way I still going to add 2TB drive as data but with the possibility of having the 3TB for any future upgrades. Since I have had such success with 4.7 I am wary of updating to any of the 5.0 RC for fear that it simply won't work. From my experience with electronics and such I have the philosophy of "If it works don't upgrade it". Am I being paranoid about updating? Should I just wait it out for the official release? Or should I just go with another 2TB?

Thanks!

For reference I have:

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller

and Two generic (but recommended) PCI and PCIE sata cards.

I'd say we'll over 50 percent of people on these forums run 5. I've been running it since the early betas. The latest RC6 are very stable.

This isn't an easy question to answer. I too am running 4.7 for the same reasons. A couple of things to consider. What is your fill rate? How long would it take to fill up your server if you added nothing but 2 T. drives and kept your 1.5 T. drives? Secondly, are you running Unraid stock? If you are running stock, or nearly so, it would be easy to try version 5 and roll back if you have any issues.

If your fill rate is low I'd just pop in another 2 T. drive and defer the decision until next time. I'm trying to hold off on version 5 until it goes final. I'll only upgrade one of my servers to version 5 the other will probably always run 4.7.

I moved my 2TB from parity to data and bought a new 3T for the parity.

For doing this I upgraded to v5 RC6 and it seems very stable (~1 month).

I have also installed several plugins (utserver, plex, APC UPS, simplefeatures the full set of plugins, slimserver, webserver, virtualbox) and everything seems to run smoothly after initial configurations.

This isn't an easy question to answer. I too am running 4.7 for the same reasons. A couple of things to consider. What is your fill rate? How long would it take to fill up your server if you added nothing but 2 T. drives and kept your 1.5 T. drives? Secondly, are you running Unraid stock? If you are running stock, or nearly so, it would be easy to try version 5 and roll back if you have any issues.

If your fill rate is low I'd just pop in another 2 T. drive and defer the decision until next time. I'm trying to hold off on version 5 until it goes final. I'll only upgrade one of my servers to version 5 the other will probably always run 4.7.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I  never really thought about fill rate before. I guess I just saw it as "It's time for a new drive lets just get the largest I could afford." Since I combined all of those 1.5TB to make my unraid I saw I was at about 70% capacity even with a new 2TB drive as storage I just figured I'd fill everything up within a couple of years. This will be the first new drive since my initial build so I guess my fill rate isn't that high. I am going with a 2TB and wait for 5.0 final. This seems to be the best option for me at this very moment. 

Again I really appreciate everyone's input and it's great to know that so many haven't had issues going to a 5.0rc