To Recycle or Buy New

Hey all, haven't been here for a while so bear with me.

I have one of the original UnRAID servers (running Ver 1 software I believe) built on the 12 Bay coolermaster chassis', with IDE drives...

I am under orders from the Boss (yes, the real boss) to either use it or lose it and I have a couple of questions.

First, is it possible to change the IDE drives out fro SATA, and if so, what do I need?

Second, which is the best and most stable version of the software to install.

Due to various work commitments and house moves, this thing has not been run in anger for more than 5 years but I now have my home theater and matrix set up properly and would like to have network storage.

If this is not possible or feasible to do economically, would I be better to just buy a new NAS (I hate to just throw good stuff away)?

Thanks for all your help in advance...

Brit

I would say that it is not worth trying to upgrade to SATA drives (if even possible, can't say without more information on hardware models).

Just buy a new machine and use your existing unRaid key (still good for v5), get v5 RC6-test2 (or use 4.7, ether should work well with standard hardware).

You should be able to re-use the case (guessing) and buy motherboard, RAM, CPU, PSU for around $300 (US, depending on where you live, etc) for a budget build.  Can even do a higher end build for under $1000 before HDs that will last another 5 years or more.

Although I get what you are saying, how can I reuse just the case as it is set up to take IDE drives? That is why I am asking if there is some kind of adapter from IDE to SATA that works with the trays that I have. If I have to use IDE, that is not too much of a problem, I will just have a limited capacity compared to SATA.

Also, why change out the MoBo, RAM etc, there is nothing wrong with the old one and all I will be doing is pushing HD video with it, no big consecutive read/writes etc....

So, I can still get V5 and use my old key?

If I have to stay with the old set up, would it be better to use v4.7 with the IDE drives?

I have one of the original UnRAID servers (running Ver 1 software I believe) built on the 12 Bay coolermaster chassis', with IDE drives...

The only downsides I see running it as is are these.

1. Power. The amount of electricity per GB of storage will be rather high in comparison to a new build. However, it's not a huge amount, and you will never recover the cost difference to upgrade.

2. Replacement drives. When those original drives start failing, you are either going to be spending a fortune on new IDE replacements if they are even available, or buying someones used drives that have already lived a long life. This is the larger problem in my mind.

If you are ok with using the current setup until it dies, possibly catastrophically, and building a new system when that happens, I say stick with it, and monitor it closely for any signs of failure.

The aluminum electroylic capacitors on the motherboard and in the power supply may no longer be any good if they have been sitting unpowered for awhile. Electroylic capacitors do have a shelf life of anywhere from one to three years depending on the quality of the capacitors.

Electrolytic capacitors have a thin film of oxide on the positive foil plate. This acts as an insulator between the two plates. They need voltage potential across them to keep this oxide layer in place. If left unpowered for long periods the oxide layer can break down, making the capacitor into more or less a dead short.

In most cases when power is applied to a capacitor in this condition; lots of current flows, the capacitor get hot, starts to gas, bulges and may vent.

Shelf life should not be confused with useful life A powered electroylic capacitor could last up to ten years in a properly designed application.  At which time another failure mechanism kicks in.

Buy new, I see a big headach ahead.

PB

Hi Guys, thanks for all of the info, it is much appreciated and you have made some very valid points.

Last couple of questions then.

With the chassis I have is it possible to revamp (MoBo etc) and convert to SATA drives? I know you probably don't know the specifics but this is the model number "Coolermaster 12 Bay STC-T01-UW1".

I have found a couple of websites that say they have 'Upgraded' MoBo's that support E-ATX and BTX, are they any good?

I am not bothered about doing the work to upgrade, I believe I would have no probs doing it, but I would rather not spend the time if it is not going to work

Seems like an awful shame to throw it all away and start again if I can upgrade for a few hundred plus SATA drives....

With the chassis I have is it possible to revamp (MoBo etc) and convert to SATA drives? I know you probably don't know the specifics but this is the model number "Coolermaster 12 Bay STC-T01-UW1".

You would need to replace the drive trays and backplanes to SATA models, but that's doable. Depending on which SATA drive cage you pick, you may need different power connections.

I'm pretty sure most any mATX or ATX board will work in that case. BTX no.

You will only really be saving the chassis and power supply at most, which is probably $200 or so, maybe only $100 if you have to get a new PSU. That would be enough for another drive or 2 though.

This assumes you would basically be building a new server inside the old sheet metal.

Personally I'd just build new when the old one starts dying, but if it helps the boss justify the upgrade cost, using the case is a good option.