preclear failing

Just installed, well trying to, a new 3 TB drive. I ran a preclear and it is failing. Here is the syslog and command line.

I would use a current version of the preclear script.  It appears you are using a VERY OLD version.

The older version worked fine on older versions of unRAID, but the "bash" shell changed, and the preclear script was subsequently changed to work with it.  (There is nothing likely wrong with the physical disk)

The error you saw is exactly what would have happened if you failed to use the most current preclear script.  Oh yes, the older script would not have known how to write a proper preclear siginature for a 3TB drive regardless.  (They did not exist when your version of the script was written.)

Just for kicks, what does your version say when you type:

preclear_disk.sh -v

? ? ?

Joe L.

Just installed, well trying to, a new 3 TB drive. I ran a preclear and it is failing. Here is the syslog and command line.

I would use a current version of the preclear script.  It appears you are using a VERY OLD version.

The older version worked fine on older versions of unRAID, but the "bash" shell changed, and the preclear script was subsequently changed to work with it.  (There is nothing likely wrong with the physical disk)

The error you saw is exactly what would have happened if you failed to use the most current preclear script.  Oh yes, the older script would not have known how to write a proper preclear siginature for a 3TB drive regardless.  (They did not exist when your version of the script was written.)

preclear_disk.sh -v

? ? ?

Joe L.

I'll do some searching on here for the newer script, but I had not realized there was a newer one.

preclear_disk.sh -v shows version .9.8

preclear_disk.sh -v

? ? ?

Joe L.

I'll do some searching on here for the newer script, but I had not realized there was a newer one.

preclear_disk.sh -v shows version .9.8

Your version of the preclear script was only about 18 versions old.  :-[

It seemed like it worked but I am not sure. I last saw it at 98% on I think it was on step 2, but I am not sure now. I telneted it, ran the command, and all of a sudden, like 28 hours later, the telnet window disappeared. Is there a way to check if the preclear finished?

If you ran the preclear after running the screen command, just telnet back in and reconnect to the screen session. If you did not use screen, then the preclear probably did not finish, as it would have died when the telnet session died. In either case, if preclear finished successfully you should be able to see the results in the syslog.