Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB drives (DT01ACA300).

Anyone used a Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB drive (Model number:DT01ACA300) in their unraid system??

They are the cheapest 3TB drive I can get locally here in Australia and come with a 2 year warranty. They are 3x1tb platter, 64mb cache drives and appear to be 4k aligned i think. Have only been released to market in August this year?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them yet and if so was it positive or negative in regards to unraid? How are the temps for a 7200rpm drive? Having trouble finding much info or reviews on these atm.

Thinking about picking up 9 of them as I can get them for over $50 per drive cheaper than the WD Reds atm which is a $450 saving for the 9. Intending to use them on a M1015 card.

Edit: seen some references to the fact that these might be basically Hitachi 7k3000's as they were/are made in the same factory.. if so its a nice price differential on the 7k3000's which are rare as hens teeth here in australia...

I'm looking at the same drive -- they're also cheaper here (US) by about $37 relative to a WD Red.  For the system I'm getting ready to build (6 drives) that's $222 in savings.    Actually not a big deal -- I'd probably go with the Reds for their lower rpm, lower power consumption (thus a bit less heat), and the anti-vibration technology ... but for UnRAID, where they'll be spun down much more than they're in use, the lower cost AND the 2 year warranty makes these really tempting.

I'll probably buy a couple next week to do the initial build (parity plus one data drive) ... and will spring for 4 more a week or so later if I'm happy with them.  I'll let you know my thoughts unless you've already bought yours -- in which case I'd appreciate you doing the same  :)

FYI, the power draw of the 3 drives I was looking at are:

Toshiba DT01ACA300

6.4w r/w

5.2w idle

1 w standby

WD Red

4.4w r/w

4.1w idle

0.6w standby

WD Green

6.0w r/w

5.5w idle

0.8w standby

One thing I have seen is that the Toshiba drive has an optional power savings mode that drops the idle power draw from 5.2w to 2.4w.

Seems there will also be 5900 and 5200 rpm models.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19712&Itemid=47

Probably still about 3 weeks from purchasing. Was just hoping someone else had more info than the scant amount I've found so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if the reduced power mode for the idle state is a jumper, or if it requires software support.

It'd also be nice to know when the lower rpm versions will be available (and at what cost).    Given a choice, I'd buy the 5940rpm version.    The biggest attraction to me is the 2 yr warranty -- the reduction from 3 years to 1 that most manufacturers did after the floods was very disappointing.    WD has bumped it back to 3 for the Reds ... which, together with the anti-vibration technology and low power draw makes them very attactive as well.    But the early shipments seem to be having a fairly significant number of DOAs.    [in fairness, I've also had a fairly high rate of test failures on the WD Greens I've bought over the past few years -- perhaps 15-20% -- but every drive that passed my "standard" test routine (full set of Data Lifeguard tests; then a full write zeroes; then another full set of tests -- ANY failure = RMA the drive)  has worked flawlessly since installation (i.e. I've had NO failures with about 30 drives.]

I'm about 2 weeks from buying my initial pair of drives for my newest server (have to finish buying the parts first).

Did Toshiba not get the 3.5" technology/production from WD? I think i read somewhere that WD was not allowed to take over Hitachi (the storage division) unless this deal with Toshiba, in fear of not enough competition (only WD and Seagate)

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2012_08/pr0801.htm

Yes you are right. WD acquired Hitachi, but the Hitachi 3.5" business was sold to Toshiba to allay Anti-Trust concerns.

UxEUR.jpg

I've done a bit more research and found an image of the drive sticker showing the drives are manufactured in China by Hitachi Global so looks like might indeed just be 7k3000's with a new sticker.

In regards to the ABA300 drives i've read that the Toshiba Canvio Desktop 3tb drives are supposed to hold 5900rpm drives so the ABA's might be getting channeled to this market instead of to the bare drive market for the moment. I'm still trying to work out what Toshiba's warranty policy is on cracking open external drives to get the drive out to use in a desktop machine. If they honor the warranty (like Hitachi did) then it might be worth picking up a bunch of the Canvio drives to get the ABA's if it turns out thats whats inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered one now, 3 years warrantee with the seller (so they claim, will run the serial against toshiba i guess)

Anyway, the shop needs to honor the warrantee, not the manufacturer.

Some places offer longer warranties on equipment than the manufacturer. If you buy a drive that has a 2 year warranty and the store offers a 3 year warranty, what happens is during the 2 years if returned they just ship it off to the manufacturer, for the last year they foot the bill.

I've had that a few times, been a while since I've seen it though. I do know thats how Walmart handles their extended electronics warranties.

• 1 month later...

Picked up 9 of these drives today. The local distributor here in Australia has decided to offer a 3 year warranty on them so that made my mind up. On 2 weeks holidays from work so will start queueing up the pre-clears I guess. Hopefully I'll get them all done before I have to return to work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, that is a good shop. bought several item there. Not the cheapest, but good service.

The warranty still bugs me though. I have almost always dealt with the manufacturer directly. WD was the only on in Holland offering advanced shipment, don't know if they still do. Toshiba doesn't even seem to offer a warranty check. And even though Dutch customers are entitled to 2 year warranty period, many times I see only 1 year offered. 

I sent them a e-mails with a very specific question on the warrantee period. They answered clearly 3 years, and it is on their web page. I first thought they would perhaps sell it as retail version with more guarantee, but they ship only in a anti static bag, so bulk packaging.

The cheapest seller for the 4 tb hitachi is offering them as bulk (191 euro today) and retail for like 226 or about that. I have had these 4 tb hitachis as retail from informatique, and than you have a cardbord shiny box, manual (1 sheet of paper) and 4 screws. So little use to pay 35 euro for those extra's