[?] Swap file for unRAID v5

Frankly, you would be better off manually repartitioning your cache drive with a swap partition.

As long as the first partition is your cache partition, the other partitions can be anything.

If you create a second swap partition, it won't hold up the array from shutting down.

You will need to do everything manually ( I think there were instructions on the forum )

In the long run, it will be easier to deal with.

Can it be thrown on a "Scratch" drive mounted through S.N.A.P. that isn't part of the array and still not hold up the array from shutting down?

Yes it can.

A swap partition is still a better way to go. you only need to mount it, you don't have to worry about unmounting it or order when when you unmount a filesystem.

with a swap file, you have to do a swapoff -a first, then unmount the scratch partition.  Plus swap partition is faster since you don't have to worry about file system semantics.

Is there an easy way within unRAID to accomplish that? Forgive me if it's right in front of my nose, it's just that this is a new concept to me. I'm all about messing around with it and trying new things :)

It can only be done from the command line.  (there is no easy way to partition a  disk and have it be properly recognized by unRAID as well, and perform well)  Basically, if you think you'll be doing a lot of swapping, you want the swap partition on the fastest outer cylinders of the disk, so the first partition used for cache must not start where it normally would, but it should leave room for the swap partition.  (Oh yes, the two partitions should not overlap either.  That is very bad.)  You must also create the reiserfs file system on the partition used for cache by hand and format it.

If the disk is < 2.2TB, you can use cfdisk or fdisk to partition the disk. 

Joe L.

• 1 month later...