Does anyone want to share a Pro license?

I think this is a lame as it gets.

A guy is about to put together lots of hardware, and then wants to take advantage and skip on a few dollars to the guy that makes it possible...

Im at a hotel right now,, should I rip the 5ml shampoo bottles, showercaps and toiletpaper for you ??

I think that your opinion is about as stupid as it gets.

I plan to buy a product for its advertised price. What I do with it after that, assuming that I don't violate its terms of use, is of no concern to anyone else. So next time you decide to get high-and-mighty do it somewhere else.

Maybe I should quit carpooling to work since I am cheating the oil companies out of their money since I am splitting gas with a coworker. Or maybe when my wife and I go to Subway I should start ordering two 6" subs instead of splitting a 12" sub.

I'm kind of with Luke on this one.  I thought the point of the 2-pack was to encourage more people to buy/use Unraid.  Sort of a volume discount.  I'm currently running the free version but thought the 2-packs look enticing when I go to upgrade.  You see I enjoy my HTPC setup enough that I maintain one for my father as well.  I thought it was neat that I could add an Unraid server to his setup in parallel with mine for a discount, once I'm convinced it's the solution I'm going with.  If that wasn't offered the entry cost for me to setup 2 machines would be much higher and free or cheaper solutions might be worth considering.

Is that not what the 2-pack is for?  Are the two keys 2-copies of the same license but licensed to different pieces of hardware?  I would be very disappointed if that is the case.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a piece of software and being told it only works as long as a specific disk on key is functional.  I understand why it's locked to the key, but I was under the impression from the forums here that in the unlikely event of a key failure you could work something out.

I'd like to know the official opinion on it before I register and move on from the 3-disk setup.  If it's not intended for two people to buy a 2-pack then I won't use it that way, but I don't see that indicated anywhere.

Theres two camps here.

The support Tom and unRAID camp that realise this aint M$ Office selling ten thousand copies a day... the more money Tom makes the better uNRAID will get.

The other camp thinks that more users = better users.

Both are right. I know for a fact that Tom will sell you a two pack knowing one if for someone else. However the discount price was often touted as a backup key solution. Is that all it is... well no but thats how it is normally seen here.

Where the negative responses are coming from is the blatant use of Toms own forum to try and use the pricing break to make the product cheaper for two complete strangers. IMO thats a tad on the cheaky side.

For those considering doing this remember the person who actualy fronts the deal will get pricing breaks from then on. The other party is not the party that purchased the software and has essentially purchased it second hand. I wouldnt expect pricing breaks if at a later point you want another and I wouldnt expect the same level of Limetech support.

You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the clarification  ;D

I see the concern with two strangers splitting a key.  And I've got no problem being the 'owner' of 2-keys and simply keeping one of my keys at my dad's place.  Lets be honest here, he's not going to know anything about it I basically own his Sage license too.  ;)

If a 2-pack wasn't available I would just buy one for me and be done, so I think in the long run I'm paying for a second key that I would never have been bought otherwise.  I think that's on the level.

One day when (probably when I'm not working and going to school) I'll get to really get under the hood of Unraid, but I'm quite enjoying it even out of the box.  I still think the power button should do a clean shutdown out of the box but that can be fixed when I get time so I hear.  I really like buying from small companies and Lime is shaping up like Sage has for me.  Good customer relations and always looking to improve.  I'm sure I'll be a Pro license owner sooner rather than later.  With companies like this it's not always about the features they currently support, I'm always excited to see where they go next.

Very well put, NAS.

The 2 pack was originally designed for backup use, if the first one failed, the second was immediately available.  Later, there was some discussion about this, and it's my impression that Tom said he was OK with using the second one for a second server.  Until there is official word from Lime Technology, I think that technically you could get away with using the second key any way you want, but it was certainly not the original intent.  And speaking for many unRAID users, not Lime Technology, we would definitely frown on this usage, for reasons NAS has well stated.

Now, Arioch5's desired use is more inline with what Tom has stated, particularly because there is still only one entity to be supported by Lime Technology, not 2 distinct entities.  I'm assuming that he (Arioch5) will be providing the installation and support of his Dad.

In the other case, we have 2 independent users requiring full support for each, at a highly discounted price.  I'm always happy to help others, and I believe many others here are too, but I think I can speak for others in saying I would very much prefer supporting users who have fully supported Tom.

I'm always happy to help others, and I believe many others here are too, but I think I can speak for others in saying I would very much prefer supporting users who have fully supported Tom.

I think most of us feel the same way.   My supporting Tom and assisting in a small way towards his success will encourage him to continue the development of his product.  If he eventually gets bought out, and becomes a Billionaire overnight, we can hope he will share in his good fortune.  (probably not to us, but hopefully he'll help those less fortunate in his community, you know, those poor folks still running Win98, WinXP, Vista :D)

Many who purchase the two-pack will never use the second.  It is their backup copy, in case something happens to the first. Most people do not have a need for multiple unRAID servers.   I'd guess we only see a small fraction of the purchasers asking for help on this forum, most probably e-mail Tom directly.

For the few that share, if Tom can deal  with it, I'll not argue.   Clearly, Tom's costs are not in the creation of a second new License key, but in the cost of housing and feeding his family while performing development of new unRAID features.     I'd just hate to see him starve before he renames the "Restore" button.  :'(   

Joe L.

I'd just hate to see him starve before he renames the "Restore" button.  :'(   

*** ROFLMAO ***

I could never fault a person for trying to do the best they can on price.  Most everyone here had the same idea going through their head when looking a at the one vs two license prices!  It just takes some big cahoonas to ask in the author's forum!

I think that this is clearly an issue for Tom to address.

I personally like having a backup.  Although I think it likely Tom would replace one if the USB went bad, if Tom got hit by a bus :o I am happy that I have a little protection!  I am also thinking of setting up a pure backup array at a friend's house to protect my most important files from catastrophic loss in my home. I'd likely use a bunch of leftover disks I have laying around, so the pro key might come in handy.