Any way to partition disk or exclude files from user share?

DGalt

I want to keep documents and music files on my server along with all my video files. Right now I have my server split up into 2 shares, one for TV and one for movies. These shares are mapped as drives on my HTPC and desktop, and then my HTPC front end (media portal) just has the appropriate plugins pointed towards the appropriate mapped drive. Stand stuff, etc.

The thing is, my documents and music files are going to take up far less space than my video files (talking about a few hundred GBs vs. 10+TB at this point). It seems like a waste to give these files their own drive (and more importantly, their own sata slot, which I'm running out of already). At the same time, I don't want them showing up in my movies or TV share (or vice versa...when i map what will be my music and documents share to a drive on my desktop I don't want the video files on that disk to show up in the drive).

So is there any way to split a disk into what would basically be two disks (like you would partition a disk if you were installing multiple OS's on it), or a way to exclude specific files from being included in a user share?

thanks  :)

I want to keep documents and music files on my server along with all my video files. Right now I have my server split up into 2 shares, one for TV and one for movies. These shares are mapped as drives on my HTPC and desktop, and then my HTPC front end (media portal) just has the appropriate plugins pointed towards the appropriate mapped drive. Stand stuff, etc.

The thing is, my documents and music files are going to take up far less space than my video files (talking about a few hundred GBs vs. 10+TB at this point). It seems like a waste to give these files their own drive (and more importantly, their own sata slot, which I'm running out of already). At the same time, I don't want them showing up in my movies or TV share (or vice versa...when i map what will be my music and documents share to a drive on my desktop I don't want the video files on that disk to show up in the drive).

So is there any way to split a disk into what would basically be two disks (like you would partition a disk if you were installing multiple OS's on it), or a way to exclude specific files from being included in a user share?

thanks  :)

It sounds you are using disk shares... Do you have shares called DISK1, DISK2 and such ?  You need to enable USER SHARES, that is a very important part of unraid and exactly what you describe... Enable user shares and you can do exactly what you want.. It also will make sure that as soon as your drive runs full that your movies are on you can just add another drive and as far as your pc is concerned it will look as one big drive ..

I am using user shares (like I said, I have a share set up for TV, which includes 3 disks, and a share set up for movies, which also includes 3 disks).

If I create another share, let's say Documents, and include one of the disks that is also included in my movies share (for example), will not all the files on that disk be included within the share? Or will they simply be excluded due to the fact they're included in another share?

Edit:

Oh look, that's exactly what'll it do haha (should have just tested it in the first place). Ok great, thanks :)

Archived