Your opinion... PMS or XBMC?

First, I am familiar with Plex Media Server as I have used it at the office for quite some time.  I am a bit familiar with XBMC because of Xbox ;)

However, which are you running and what advantage keeps you with it over the other mentioned?

1) I like the iOS remote for PMS

2) I like the OS X, iOS and *Nix platform clients (although xbmc has parts too)

I ask because I am not sure if I should run the htpcmanager on my unraid box or stick with sab + sick + couch + ruTorrent

You kind of lost me with the question, and then saying you are asking because of htpcmanager.

As for the question, I think both do their respective duties quite well. PMS is great as an all in one solution for media serving. Coupling a secure front end with the media server solution is great, and provides a relatively hassle free result.

As far as front-ends go, XBMC is on the top. With tons of customization features, very active development, and being open source, you really can't go wrong. The very fact that they have an operation xbmc interface for android phones is amazing(and yes, it works quite well).

If I were focused on local viewing, I'd choose XBMC. If remote viewing were most important, you really can't go wrong with PMS.

Now, for HTPC manager. If you are talking about the app, it is just a combined front-end for sab, sick and couchpotato, not a replacement for them. If you run it you still need those three apps installed and running.

I have both XBMC and Plex there is no reason not to run both. Plex is great if you want to share your library with firends and family, using MyPlex. The back end is totally isolated from the backend, as mentioned in the last post. Making family and kid friendly and not presenting to many options. Also if you need to transcode for low powers clients, Plex is a good choice. All thumbs are stored on the backend and playsate is uniforum for a whole house solution.

If that is important to you, thats the one advantage that PMS has over Xbmc. It can be done on Xbmc but it requires a bit of work. If you have multiple users in  your household that may, in fact be a disadvantage.

I find that I prefer using Xbmc. Its more responsive when using the transport controls, and just does everything quicker. The picture quality seems to be a bit better and it will play any files without issues. I sometimes find on rare occasions that Pex wont play a file.  You also have the MCE remote addon for Xbmc that allows you to easily remap you remote, so you almost never need to use a keyboard.

XBMC - Tried Plex, Windows Media Center, and some others.  Keep going back to XBMC.  Now that I don't have to have an actual HTPC to run XBMC, you can't convince me to use anything else.  Handles my Movies and TV just fine, love the customizeable layouts, and the fact that it just works with the remote.

If I was worried about transcoding, I'd probably be using something else.  But I don't transcode on the fly, I stream my mkv's, avi's, mp4's, m4v's, wmv's directly from my unRaid box via NFS shares.  No issues at all.

~Whip

I am using media portal (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/)

Fairly similar to what xbmc can do, but for my use cases the most flexible due to its amount of availble plugins out there

MP is a great option if you feel the need to integrate live TV, with your stored collection. Support of DVB-T, DVB-C and DVB-S. Has built in ComSkip to remove chimerical from you live TV recordings. Best thing out there if you have a lost of tuners you want to share. But its a real PITA to set all of that up.

PMS and Xbmc can be setup in minutes.

Xbmc and WM7  with an Xbox as a extender, work good for me and I get DVB-S with DVB Link for DVBDream for live TV, along with HdHome and a analog cable card. However since I use Sickbeard, I spend less time with live TV. Sports, News, and occasional bored channel surfing.

I may give it another shot when and I have a few h o u rs......to kill. There is a new version since the last time I looked at it. MP is one you should certainly consider.