Not unRaid but W7 Dynamic Raid 0 array crashed

tr0910

This is not unRaids fault, but my own.  Graphics workstation that backs up to the unRaid server has crashed.  Boot disk is fine and W7 will boot, but the dynamic disk array keeps windows from starting if connected.

Computer will not boot up with 2 disk RAID 0 array connected to the motherboard. Once I unhook one of the drives it will boot up. System is backed up except for 1 month of images that are worth $500- $1000 to us. I would like to get these files off the failed array. Recommendations anyone???

I have a set of WD 1TB 10EADS drives set up with Windows 7 64 bit into a dynamic RAID 0 Array for photo editing. This is faster than a single 2TB disk, and I have 6 of these workstations. The data is all backed up daily to a server so I should be OK even if a drive fails as long as the backups are working. Yep, I hadn't been checking the backups, and I have about a month that isn't backed up. (Spanking myself with a wet noodle)

I am willing to invest in a data recovery service. Who should I consider?

DTI Data is proposing an "image only" option for the bad drive. Just send them a 2nd drive and they will image the data onto the new drive. Once the newly imaged drive is reinstalled, Win7 should recognize it and the data should come back. Price $700 for this. Other options start at $1000 and could well run to $4000.

Does this seem reasonable, and how big a risk am I taking? If the cost goes to several thousand, we are marginally over our cost of just re-creating the data.

Are there any other options available that will be cost effective and have a high probability of success?

Have you though about trying out some software and doing it yourself?

http://www.bitmart.net/

I've tried their software with a single drive it worked well for me.  The software includes a RAID recovery option that might or might not work - never tried it.  It can also create a byte for byte image of the disk for future recover efforts - don't remember if I used that or not.  You could take the image and then try to recover with the image keeping the original disks to send off if your recovery doesn't work.  Might even be able to use demo mode to get an idea if it will work for you.

If I could resurrect the disk and get it to be seen by Windows, I would certainly try that.

Presently when booting, I can hear the disk spin up, and I hear several clicks, but the computer remains locked on the BIOS screen.  Motherboard is:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296 and the drives were all hooked to the 3gb SATA ports.  To troubleshoot I tried new SATA cable, different power connection to the power supply, and different MB SATA ports.  Nothing would get the boot process past the bios screen where it locks up with the bad drive attached.  Detach the bad drive and everything comes up fine.

Can I put the bad drive in a USB enclosure for testing, without danger of writing something bad to it?

If I could resurrect the disk and get it to be seen by Windows, I would certainly try that.

Presently when booting, I can hear the disk spin up, and I hear several clicks, but the computer remains locked on the BIOS screen.  Motherboard is:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296 and the drives were all hooked to the 3gb SATA ports.  To troubleshoot I tried new SATA cable, different power connection to the power supply, and different MB SATA ports.  Nothing would get the boot process past the bios screen where it locks up with the bad drive attached.  Detach the bad drive and everything comes up fine.

Can I put the bad drive in a USB enclosure for testing, without danger of writing something bad to it?

Possibly.  However I would recommend your idea since the drive locks up the computer.  Better to let a professional do it.  Sorry I browsed past that in your original post.