Question for the pro's here, re: use of an old server

lars

hi all,

i have an old compaq proliant ML350 G3 server sitting here. somebody left with me ages ago. i don't know much about it, beside the spec sheet (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11430_na/11430_na.HTML) what is not very helpful to me and my level of knowledge....  ::)

anyway, it seems (my reading of it) that i can switch the scsi drives for sata2 ones, what would be great i guess and could even add more using a Intel-RAID-Controller-SRCS28X... what would be even better!

my question, before i start to dive into hopeless adventures, is this hardware compatible with unraid, if not in general - what would i have to do, to use as much of the existing hardware as poss...

any help would be majorly appreciated!!! since i am in jamaica, the import of any additional hardware is very costly in terms of outrageous  duties and taxes  :-\

looking forward to tips, ideas and help

thx lars

HI

A ml350 mg3 has scsi drives and a scsi array controller probably a 64xx series ....

these are not compatible with unraid as far as i know

and replacing the scsi controller and scsi drives would require a sata controller and a hard drive cage change as HP uses special hard drive cages with sleds to make them hot swappable

so overall without some heavy modding or buying a new sata harddrive cage (g6 and above and the question is will it fit ??? ) i don't think it is a good idea

ok, thx for the bad news  :( . i hadn't to much hope anyway... would have been to easy  ;D !

so i guess i rip that thing apart, use the rack and power supplies put a 'state of the art' usable amd compat. motherboard in, since i still have a athlon 64x2 and memory sitting here and collect dust. saw a mb a couple days ago that should fill the bill for about $50. that should be ok, the cost comes with the drives  ::)

i thought i read somewhere the sas/scsi stuff is 'backward' compatible with sata drives (may have to read up on that again)....

anyway, thx for the help...

lars

SAS/SATA are completely different from SCSI. Depending on a few factors, you can typically run SAS and Sata in the same system, but not SCSI.

Also, the PSU for those ML350 are all custom plug. Unless you get a ML350 G3 motherboard, you pretty much cannot use them. Plus, those old PSU were so in-efficient, that after about a year, you will have spent more on power costs then buying a new 80Plus power supply. :)

Best bet, toss the G3... most everything in it is custom, or so old at this point should be about to fail.

Whaler

• 2 months later...

well, thx Whaler!

was worth a shot! i see your point. i basically gutted the rack-case and started to put in completely new hardware at this point. so far fitted Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 and OCZ ZT Series 550W ps in there. did some mods for drives (6x3tb wd-green are on the way) plus my existing 'leftovers' laying around here, a collection of wd & seagate hdd's between 1 and 3tb in various sata stages. not really running yet. the cpu and ram are still on their way to jamaica. had a athlon 64 and some ram in for testing, but that was out of another machine for a day. so far so good.guess i will slowly get there and actually get some use out of this old 19'' again  ::)

basically i took your advice and tossed the innards, well have them sitting here, ppl here still looking for that stuff! yeah mon, jamaica ain't silicon valley!

anyway, most everything will be new in the end. poss also a wise decision in terms of my power bill!? athlon2 x 2 270 with 8gb crucial ddr3 ram should be overkill anyway (the ram is just collecting dust here at this point, the cpu i scored for 19.99 of a out of biz company).

anyway, i shall post all that stuff again once all the parts are finally here and the server is finally running!

beside me wanting some semi-secure backup for about 10tb of music, the most fun is actually the build so far!