PSU just set on fire! What to use instead?

inamak

Hi all - I'm running with 7 HDDs and did have an Antec HE 430W PSU - i was just watching a tv ep off the server and the PSU started sparking like crazy and smoking! Looks like it has burned itself out, and the rest of the server looks *ok*.

The only thing i can think of doing now is getting a new PSU and hoping the rest of the server is ok.

Anyone had this happen before? I'm not sure why it happened i've been running the server for a few months without issue.

Is there any process i should go through? Or just replace the PSU and boot as normal?

Thanks!

EDIT - just ordered a Corsair 650w - wanted some decent headroom. Lets hope the rest of the rig is ok!

Sounds nasty.  :o  I did manage to kill a power supply one time, but I was overloading it significantly (my fault) - it doesn't sound like you were, so it could have been a bad supply, or some other issue.

When my supply went it also took the motherboard with it.  There was a burning smell, then smoke, sparks, a big bang from the PSU.  This was in my main desk PC, not my server.  Fortunately, the four hard disk drives, the DVD drives, the graphics, etc, all survived.  The motherboard has more sensitive connections, especially all the chips on the 3.3 volt supply.

You may get lucky and find that just changing the supply works (and there's  no harm in trying that first), but be prepared to change out the motherboard.  So long as the flash and hard drives are OK, then after configuring the BIOS to boot from the USB stick, you may just need to reassign the drives.  If using 5.0 builds of unRAID, that last step may not be needed.

Good luck!