Motherboard upgrade - something up

Gouie

Finally got around to replacing my motherboard. Looks like I have a problem with the NIC and will have to return it. I did manage to power the box however and am concerned. The server configuration was gone with the prompt back to the standard.

Will I not have my configuration until the drives are assigned accordingly and the array brought online? I would have thought the config was stored on the USB stick.

Okay, so I put the old hardware back in place and the configuration is now as it should be, with the exception of the drive assignments of course. So I'm quite confused at this point; why would the configuration revert to default after replacing the motherboard? Could this be related to a bad NIC?

The server configuration was gone with the prompt back to the standard.

Can you be a little more specific?  I don't understand what you mean by this statement.  What did you observe with the new motherboeard, and what did you expect to see?

Sorry, re-reading and yeah, my statements are a little vague.

I upgraded to a Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP. Everything booted fine and Unraid loaded however, the onboard NIC was not connecting to my router - no lights. Trying to rule out the onboard I installed a PCI NIC and was seeing the same problem. I'm not sure if I have a suspect MB at this point. Of greater concern was the indication that Unraid had reverted to default settings. The main indication of this was the command prompt referencing the default host name "Tower"; my is configured as "NAS". I have since re-installed the old MB and everything is back up and running. Hope that makes sense.

Modified to include current Unraid version: 4.5 Beta 7. Yikes, that's old, perhaps that's the cause of my MB issues? Maybe I should be upgrading Unraid before the hardware?

My guess is that your USB port is not supported by the Linux kernel that you're running.  An updated unRAID will include a later kernel and more drivers, so may well resolve your issue.

However, is it possible that your flash drive is plugged into a USB3 port?  If so, try an alternative port.  Is there any BIOS option for a compatibility mode for the USB interface.  Exploring these may allow you to continue running your current release.

Thanks guys. I think I'll upgrade, it's definitely time. Thinking about the USB comment, that could very well be it. I don't recall exactly what port I had the stick in but it was a 50/50 chance of being USB 3.

Appreciate the input regarding HPA, didn't know what that was 5 minutes ago. Any other tips/tricks/suggestions before I take another crack at this?

Archived