User Share level plus adding new drive

Hi, I just want to make sure I understand shares correctly.

For pyTivo, I have two shares

\\tower\tivo    .. followed by \show\season

\\tower\movies .. followed by \moviename

share level is at 1 for movies, and 2 for tivo.  Will these settings accomplish the following?

let \tivo\shows be put on any disk, but keep individual seasons of the shows on one disk.

let movies be spread across all disks, but keep individual movie folders all on one disk for the content in each movie folder.

what would happen if I set the Tivo share to 3?

Also, my server is filling up, and I might upgrade to the $119 version.  If i do so and add a drive, if I manually cut \tivo\show\seasonx from the share and manually paste it into \diskX\tivo\show\seasonx, will that pull it from where it is over all the disks, and make it stay on the new disk, where diskX is the new disk?

Thanks,

I got a little confused reading the unofficial manual, for its example it first says put a share level of 3 for tv, then it says use share level 1 or 2 right after that, for the same thing.

What you described for levels is correct.

You can move from the share to a specific disk but don't try to move files that are already on that disk.

I recall explaining what the different levels mean for the different directory structure examples and whic level can be used to achieve certain results. Did you look at the directory structure each example refers to? A change in directory structure requires different levels to achieve the same result.

when I install the new drive, will this command work?

nohup mv /mnt/Tivo/individualTVshow/ /mnt/diskX/individualTVshow &

will that command work to move a tv show from spread across all disks to one disk?

or does it just work using /mnt/disk1/tivo/individualTVshow/* /mnt/diskX/tivo &

Thanks again!

I'm not sure what will happen trying to move from a user share into the same directory structure on a disk. It will likely make a mess though because the files will re-appear in the user share or conflict with the file already in the user share. Remember, anything you move to a disk also appears in the corresponding user share.

The disk structures you've just described in the move command are different. Is that what you want?

Move from here;

/mnt/Tivo/individualTVshow - a user share called Tivo with a directory called individualTVshow inside it.

To here;

/mnt/diskX/individualTVshow - a user share called individualTVshow.

Your best bet is to move the data from the old share into a new share directory on a disk. Maybe this is what you meant by the above directories in the move command? As an example;

mv /mnt/OldShare/a* /mnt/disk1/NewShare - move all the files and directories which start with the letter "a" to NewShare

Your directory structure examples in this lastest post don't match at all what you described in your first post so I really don't know what you have or what you're trying to do.

Archived