Feature Request: Add support for USB (3.0) drives as cache partitions

Jaster

Hello unRAID Team (aka Tom?),

with USB 3.0 flash drives are capable of providing write speeds above 200mb/sec at very moderate prices.

A cache drive is intended to be used as a temporary storage for a day or less, so the required space on the cache partition can be pretty low (less than 64GB provided by an average memory stick today).

Why wasting a SATA/SAS slot, space and energy when we could use such a flash drive for that purpose?

Unfortunately unRAID does not support this feature, so I am wondering if you could add it.

• 2 years later...

Was this request ever aknowleged or acted upon? With USB externals now available on the gen8 Microserver but limited space internaly this would seem an ideal solution to mount a cache drive on an external USB 3.0 to make these new servers as useful as the older N54L etc

I'll be moving this thread to the "Roadmap" board, where feature requests should go.  I doubt anyone ever saw it here, as this is for support problems.

I'm rather sure that support for USB 3.0 is on the drawing board though, for array drives as well, but I don't know if it has been scheduled yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived