Anyone know what this error is about?

Rebel

I recently commissioned some WD red 3TB drives, I ran preclear multiple times without issues before inserting into the array.

My array does a parity check 1st of the month and this month it disabled one of the new 3T drives with the following error although I don't know if I'm looking at a drive / controller / other issue.

This is a brand new drive (Still empty fortunatly) out of set of 5 that's been put in (parity drive + drives 5 - 8 )

disks 1 - 4, parity and cache are onboard sata then I have a supermicro 8 port sata card if that is important

Feb 3 00:14:37 LSpace kernel: md: disk6: ATA_OP e0 ioctl error: -5 (Errors)

WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T1014384 (sdh) 2930266532 * 3 TB 3 TB 11450152 16 768<<== errors

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdh (disk6)

smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Thats not good then :(

Try changing the "-d ata" to "-d sat" if you are using an LSI based controller like an IBM M1015.

It's cable 2 on a supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 card.

I'll get it powered down after 8 tonight and try a reset.

The really odd thing was it precleared fine and has been okay right up until the parity check on the 1st Feb (that said it was only put in last month so that was it's first month and fortunatly it's still empty)

Seems reseating it has brought it back into identification although it's not happy happy about the disk so I am running another 5 preclears on it to see if I can prompt a read / write failure.

Thanks guys (this can be marked solved)

Archived