Promise SuperTrak EX8350 ?

That card appears to use the Marvell 88SX6081 chipset, which is the same chipset the AOC-SASLP-MV8 which we know does work with unraid. As far as the RAID mode, if it's like the Supermicro card with the same chipset, it operates in JBOD mode unless you specify otherwise. Promises website says it can be used to JBOD mode. http://firstweb.promise.com/product/product_detail.asp?product_id=156

With those facts in mind I'd say pick one up an try it out. If it doesn't work you're only out $5 bucks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Project was on hold and is now underway again... And looking at this card again (this time its $50). 

Anyone ever find out if it works?

No, but I just picked up an EX4350 (4-port) which I'll be trialling once my 3TB pre-clear completes overnight.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Bad news, I'm afraid.  The EX4350 detects the drive and exports it as JBOD, but unRAID doesn't detect the controller or the drive(s) attached to it.  I guess it needs a driver, and while Promise make various flavor of driver - including open source - available on their web site, I don't have the time or expertise to futz with porting it to unRAID.

I'll hang on to the card in case someone else with more time, skill, and enthusiasm takes up the challenge, but for now it's a non-starter.

[EDIT] I found this thread which talks about the same issue, and comes to the same conclusion.

Archived