BackBlaze Storage Pod 3.0 [March 2014 Update: Now it's at 4.0]

neilt0

Right.  And I've said before, and others I think too, that the fastest way to sort of get what we want is to add the ability to create two arrays in a single instance.  For now, it would just be possible to use Xen to create another instance of Unraid but that means using pass thru of SATA and as we've been told that is not ideal.

But dual array in a single box would be the fastest way to >24 drives and to afford more parity protection without the efforts to create p+q or some other dual parity method.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

While you may think an array of fewer drives is protected without dual parity, it is not. The size of the array element (drive size) is the key to protection level of data. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162 In a nut shell consumer drives have URE protection of 10^14 or 12TB. RAID stripes larger than 12TB might not be considered protected. Using 4TB drives you need to think 4 drive stripes.

If what you want is dual arrays, simple run one or both as a virtual instance. Don't pass thru the drives, pass an additional controller to each instance. Overlay the arrays using UnionFS and you have multiple arrays as one fs.

Nice monster boxes...  :)

But, I wonder how they manage to run 48 drives with that PSU?

Staggered spin-up? Must be a hardware set-up to do that when booting cold?

At the moment my PSU is totally oversized only to meet the amps requirement when

all drives spin-up at once.

When idling with all drives up it will probably not even reach 20% load...  >:(

There is much room for improvement in this specific area.