shares disappear during data rebuild

I had an issue with a drive and had to remove it from the array and then add it back.  This triggered a data rebuild that has been running for almost two days and has about a day to go.  Everything has been fine during the rebuild and I've been able to use the server as I normally do.  But last night after the mover process finished all of my shares disappeared.  I can access the individual drives but the SHARES page of the gui is blank.  I'm pretty sure that rebooting the server will fix this problem but I'd really like to wait for the data rebuild to finish so it doesn't have to restart a three day process. 

Is there any way to remount the shares from the console?

I've also attached the syslog in case anyone can see a larger problem looming.

thanks.

syslog.txt

OK, well I seem to have something more fundamental going on then the data rebuild.  My shares keep disappearing frequently.  Multiple times a day.  And the only thing I can do is to reboot the server. 

I'm only running a couple of plug-ins (simpleFeatures & Plex) and I've tried booting without SF.  I've also added a swap file on my cache drive and I've set the cache_pressure to 200 to make more RAM available.  Nothing in that list has helped.

I've attached a syslog and would really appreciate some help cause I just don't know what to do next.

syslog.2013.03.13.txt

From what I can see, you are one more case of the "User Shares dropping" and "Transport endpoint is not connected" crowd.  This appears to be a problem that some of the other users are having too, search "Transport endpoint is not connected".  I *think* Tom is working on this.

I don't believe amount of memory is related to this.  I did notice though that your system seems to be reporting 3.6GB of RAM (Linux is confusing in how it reports RAM, so I'm not positive).  That probably means you have 4GB of RAM, but it is reserving 512MB for onboard video, which is almost completely wasted, since UnRAID doesn't use graphics, only a few text consoles.  You might check in the BIOS settings and see if you can drop the RAM reserved for video to its lowest setting, and that may free up more memory for you.

Rob,

thanks for the reply.  I did do a search concerning the transport error.  most of the threads I saw were about memory and resulting processes being killed.  Since my log doesn't have explicit memory errors they weren't much help (although I did set up a swap file to pick up a bit of memory).  I may have to do some more searching to try to find a reply from Tom at limetech.  It would be nice to know that this is being addressed.

concerning the memory reported I did look at the bios when I set up the server and I "thought" I reduced the video ram to as low as it would go.  But your right, 512k seems like a lot.  I'll have to move a monitor around and check it again.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can see, you are one more case of the "User Shares dropping" and "Transport endpoint is not connected" crowd.  This appears to be a problem that some of the other users are having too, search "Transport endpoint is not connected".  I *think* Tom is working on this.

Well I'm finding this quite frustrating.  I pulled all of my addons and reboot.  Everything ran fine for three days so I added back in SimpleFeatures.  Three days after that I added in Plex.  Four days later I'm getting the Transport endpoint errors again. 

Does anyone know if this is actually being worked on?  I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can.

Well I'm finding this quite frustrating.  I pulled all of my addons and reboot.  Everything ran fine for three days so I added back in SimpleFeatures.  Three days after that I added in Plex.  Four days later I'm getting the Transport endpoint errors again. 

Does anyone know if this is actually being worked on?  I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can.

i certainly hope so because i have been plagued by this issue for months. ive been trying to find a solution myself. my setup only gets the "transport endpoint" errors on an initial start though. supposedly it's a plugin issue, though my suspicion is not the plugins themselves but how unraid handles plugins. ive gone so far as to rebuild unraid and it worked for a while and then it suddenly started happening again but now it is much worse because my plugins dont load and the shares are mounted. the only thing i can do right now to get it to work is to start with plugins disabled and then manually start them when i need them. far from ideal.

rcrh, I had those issues after installing simple features. I removed simple features and all has been fine for a month. Try uninstalling simple features and see if that does not stableize your issues. In the meantime you could install unmenu which has not given me any issues since I started using unraid.

rcrh, I had those issues after installing simple features. I removed simple features and all has been fine for a month. Try uninstalling simple features and see if that does not stableize your issues. In the meantime you could install unmenu which has not given me any issues since I started using unraid.

Thanks Burt,  I did remove SF and then reintroduced it.  The server ran for three days with SF running and I didn't have a problem.  The problems didn't return until I added SF AND Plex.  Even then it took another four days before anything bad happened.    I'm currently running without SF but with Plex.  Plex is important while SF is something I like.  We'll see how it goes. 

thanks again.

Archived