100mb onboard works better than 1000mb intel PCI NIC

rxnelson

I am still toying with the free version.  The main use for this is going to be video storage so I am testing specifically for stuttering.  When I use the onboard 100mb NIC of my A7N8X mobo I can write to "disk2" while watching a movie from "disk1" without stutter.  I had a 1000mb realtec NIC I swapped in and I can't do the same. The movie stutters.  I then bought an Intel NIC thinking it was a driver issue but have the same results.  Any ideas?

How much data, and how fast are you writing to the disk while reading from the other disk.

There is only so much buffering that can be done before one has an impact over the other.

How much ram do you have on your machine?

You may need to post a syslog so people can get a picture of the hardware installed.

OK...found one of your other posts with a screen shot.  I have it running now I think.  Just start transferring and tell you what I get?

I have eth0 which bounces all over the place when I transfer a file.  There are three columns.  Just tell me what to do and what to report thanks.

press the "t" key 3 times, so the type of display is (30s) meaning a 30 second average.

Then report the Rx and Tx for eth0 when writing to unRAID, and again when reading from it.

Then press q to end bwm-ng.

Then start your reads and writes, and while they are running, run:

vmstat 5 10

and look at the last column, "wa" in particular.  A high value here means your CPU/LAN is waiting for on a slow disk.

This what you want?

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s