[SOLVED] How to do a "new" unRAID install of 5.0 rc12 from a 4.7 flash drive?

OK, here's what I'm doing- I'm retiring/parting out my current 4.7 unRAID server and moving to an HP microserver that some unRAIDers love. I will populate with new drives. I have 2x 512MB firely USB drives with unRAID pro 4.7 on them. (I just use one for my current server). So basically I want to use my backup key and create a "fresh install" of 5.12rc on it for the new unRAID server.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I appreciate any and all help, thanks.

Since you're starting entirely from scratch, the simplest thing to do is just rebuild the USB flash drive with the "Make_Bootable. bat" file in the RC12a download.

HOWEVER, be SURE you first save your UnRAID key file from the drive -- assuming it's a Pro key, it will be in the Config folder, called Pro.key.

So the steps are:

(1)  Copy the Pro,key file to a safe location on your PC

(2)  Download the latest RC12a version  [unRAID Server 5.0-rc12a AiO.zip] from the UnRAID site

http://lime-technology.com/download/

(3)  Extract the files from the download

(4)  Follow the instructions for "Installation on a new Flash Device" in the Wiki:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Server_Version_5.0-beta_Release_Notes

(5)  Boot your UnRAID server from the flash drive;  then to go \\Tower\Flash in Windows Explorer on your Windows PC, and copy the Pro.key to the config folder.

... I assume it's apparent, but after you've done that, you simply reboot and you'll be running v5 RC12a Pro.    You can then assign any drives you've added to the MicroServer to UnRAID and you'll be "off to the races"  :)

Gary thank you for the detailed instructions, I appreciate it. I bought unRAID four years ago, and after the intitial installing and a few updates to the OS, haven't done anything to it. So despite being a long time user of unRAID, I'm rusty with it and appreciate your noob friendly instructions.  :)

Gary thank you for the detailed instructions, I appreciate it. I bought unRAID four years ago, and after the intitial installing and a few updates to the OS, haven't done anything to it. So despite being a long time user of unRAID, I'm rusty with it and appreciate your noob friendly instructions.  :)

You're most welcome.  Just post back if you have any questions after you've got it running  :)

Archived