Will it read FFS drives?

Hey All,

Getting close to taking the plunge on this soon. Currently I have 4 x wd250GB drives in an OpenBSD machine, hanging off of one Promise Ultra 100 controller. They are all formated with the ffs file system. The OS is on a small HD connected directly to the mobo.

What would be great is if I could replace the mobo and add 2 new HDs (get rid of the current OS drive) to act as parity(wd0) and the first data drive(wd1), then start copying stuff over directly from the existing drives. Copy one existing drive(wd2) to the new data drive(wd1), format (wd2) to the native ReiserFS and add (wd2) as another data drive, then repeat the process (wd3, wd4, wd5) until I get all the data over and all the drives formated.

Is that possible? My only other choice I guess would be to add the existing drives into a temp OpenBSD machine and then setup the unRAID box and start copying stuff over from there...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

RADIatiON

Linux includes something called "UFS file system support" which is read-only (though write is available but marked "experimental").  I'm not sure if this will work with your drives - I'd guess "probably", but the current unRAID linux kernel does not have this support included.  When you're ready to try this, send me an email and I can probably make you a custom kernel with this support to let you try it.

Archived