Is this drive dead?

So I started running pre_clear on a drive that I had pulled out of an external enclosure recently. I thought this would be a good test to see if I had everything setup properly before I started other pre_clears on new drives.

I noticed that the pre read was stuck @ 0 bytes read even half an hour I had started pre_clear and I saw a lot of drive related information in the syslog (attached).

Is this drive pretty much toast ? Or do the logs indicate some other error? The drive was recognized properly by BIOS and by unRAID.

The drive is no longer in warranty but it has been running for the past 4 years :)

syslog-2013-07-26.zip

WOW!

I thought this drive was 4 years old but I just checked seagate's warranty site and it still shows the drive under warranty till next month - so perfect time for the drive to fail. So definitely going to RMA it!! Hopefully they'll accept the internal drive (I had taken it out from an external drive that I bought). The warranty came up valid on the internal drive's serial # as well.

yep i would agree with BobPhoenix, this drive looks toast, you could try running another pre-clear of the drive to see if you can get "Current_Pending_Sector" count to 0, i think its probably unlikely with that many pending sectors though, personally i would order a new drive/rma it and get a new replacement in asap.

Archived