unraid missing from my network

So after i got my server up and running I realized we were out of ports on our switch so I was going to have to run a crossover cable from my computer to the server to connect it to the network. got that to work just fine. i was able to set everything up and connect to it and started to move some files. files were moving just fine but i was the only one who could see it on the network. the only ip i could find for it was 192.168.0.1 and all of our computers are 192.168.1.100-109. so i thought maybe it was a problem with the ip. so i gave it a static ip of 192.168.1.111 and it disappeared. i can't find it on the network it will no longer connect even to my computer when i go in to firefox and type in the server name. it appeared randomly for about 10 min then disappeared again. suggestions? thanks

So after i got my server up and running I realized we were out of ports on our switch so I was going to have to run a crossover cable from my computer to the server to connect it to the network. got that to work just fine. i was able to set everything up and connect to it and started to move some files. files were moving just fine but i was the only one who could see it on the network. the only ip i could find for it was 192.168.0.1 and all of our computers are 192.168.1.100-109. so i thought maybe it was a problem with the ip. so i gave it a static ip of 192.168.1.111 and it disappeared. i can't find it on the network it will no longer connect even to my computer when i go in to firefox and type in the server name. it appeared randomly for about 10 min then disappeared again. suggestions? thanks

If you are using a crossover cable on a machine with 2 network interfaces and both interfaces have the same network (192.168.1) then there will may routing issues.

I'm not sure it will work correctly unless you set up static routes on the cross over machine.

If you want other machines to see it via the cross over cable and you use a different network (192.168.0), you will need to enable forwarding on the machine with the two interfaces.

Might be easier to purchase a switch and expand the network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166036

we already have a 5 port switch but it's full because there are 4 of us on the 2nd floor. i don't want to buy another switch because i'm moving finally moving in to an apt by myself after this year so i probably won't even need the switch i have now.  i'm tempted to just tell my one roommate to use his wireless because he has a mac. anyway, if i decide to be a nice guy and not kick him off the switch and i reset the ip everything should go back to normal and then i can enable forwarding and that will work or are there more steps involved?

if i decide to be a nice guy and not kick him off the switch and i reset the ip everything should go back to normal and then i can enable forwarding and that will work or are there more steps involved?

If you use a 192.168.1 address hooked into the dual network machine with a crossover cable, only that machine will see the server

(unless you divide the network up with a different netmask and enable forwarding, even then it might not work. it depends on the OS involved)

If you use a 192.168.X address hooked into the dual network machine with a crossover cable, it may be possible to enable forwarding to allow other machines to access it. Somehow the router will need to be informed of the second network and where it is (routed).

I don't know all of the steps involved to do this.

There are router steps and HOST OS steps.

If you don't want to spend money on another switch, letting your partner go wireless is an easy approach.