[SOLVED] Disks won't spin down

I've recently upgraded to unRAID 5.0rc16 and everything has been going fine up until yesterday. 

I installed a Seagate 4TB NAS drive and set it to preclear using Putty last night.  I wake up this morning and notice that it was frozen (I think the server had a bad cat cable connection) so I restarted it and was going to perform a preclear on the new 4TB drive again when I noticed that all the drives were spinning up.  I would spin them down and they would again spin up.  I can't get them to stop spinning and I need them to stop so the case won't get so hot while I'm preclearing the new drive.

What could cause the drives to keep spinning up?  Is there a way to check what/who is accessing them?

I also opened a few ports on unRAID (sab, sickbeard,couchpotato,subsonic) and then read that people advised against it so I closed them up for the time being.  I'm now paranoid that someone is trying to access my unRAID as well.

I've recently upgraded to unRAID 5.0rc16 and everything has been going fine up until yesterday. 

I installed a Seagate 4TB NAS drive and set it to preclear using Putty last night.  I wake up this morning and notice that it was frozen (I think the server had a bad cat cable connection) so I restarted it and was going to perform a preclear on the new 4TB drive again when I noticed that all the drives were spinning up.  I would spin them down and they would again spin up.  I can't get them to stop spinning and I need them to stop so the case won't get so hot while I'm preclearing the new drive.

What could cause the drives to keep spinning up?  Is there a way to check what/who is accessing them?

I also opened a few ports on unRAID (sab, sickbeard,couchpotato,subsonic) and then read that people advised against it so I closed them up for the time being.  I'm now paranoid that someone is trying to access my unRAID as well.

If you had an 'unclean' shutdown, it is probably rebuilding parity.  As I recall, that is the default action after a shutdown where the array is not stopped first. 

yes, after the unclean power down it started doing a parity check but I cancelled it.  Should it still continue spinning the disks? there is no indication that it is doing anything with them.  It even spun them up when my array is stopped.

EDIT: the issue seems to have fixed itself.  I turned the unRAID off for about an hour and turned it back on.  I let the drives spin down on their own rather than manually spinning them down. 

Archived