Dead hdd reappeared during rebuild, possible ways to compare rebuilt data?

I came home last night to an unresponsive machine, couldn't telnet, no web interface both the standard :80 or unmenu on :8080. Even console directly at the machine was locked.

When the machine restart, the array auto-started and it almost locked up again, this time telnet and web worked, and I managed to stop the array. I turned off auto-start, and rebooted the machine once more.

I always have a spare 2TB drive sitting in the machine for moments like this. Red ball on drive 8, so I selected the spare drive as replacement and started the rebuild, started at 6PM, finished by 1:30AM.

Any ways, that is just a recap of how my night went. My only worry is, why did the machine fully locked up because of one dead drive. What happened to the array when it auto-started with a missing drive, and did it attempt to rebuild without a drive?

Because I have no idea what happened during the lock up, during the rebuild, and since the old drive came back. I would like to compare the two drives to see if anything went missing during the rebuild (i.e. something went wrong while the dead drive was in there and when the array auto-started maybe data was lost).

Do I risk anything taking both drives out, connecting them to my Windows machine and running FreeFileSync to compare the two? It won't write anything, strictly used to read and compare the two.

Does free file sync work with Linux formats? If so you could do so but I would leave the server shutdown during drive compare. Now you could try mounting the old hard drive in the server and comparing it over the network this would get rid of the risk and it would stay Linux. Sorry I know That this can be done but I don't know how to make you a step by step. I know you can read only mount in unmenu under the hard drive management.

Good luck

Thornwood

Attach your old drive to your Windows system and use LinuxReader to access it.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Then you can simply compare the files on it with those on the corresponding UnRAID drive.

As for confirming your files are still all good -- the best thing to compare against isn't the "bad" (i.e. it was red-balled) drive or the rebuilt drive -- ideally you should compare your data against your backups.