Move drive to a different disk # before parity install

I can't seem to find a previous question / answer to this but it must exist.

I've started populating a new Norco 24 bay build (four bays in a row, six rows).  I am starting with three blades (top row, third row and fifth row) to allow room for ventilation.

I added disks into disk #1, disk #2, Disk #3 and so on.  I have started copying files to my first drive.

I now realize it would be smart to call the disk in slot #9 (Third row, first bay) disk #9 in the GUI instead of disk #1 as first started.  Then put drive bay #10 (third row, second bay over) as disk #10 in the GUI instead of disk #2.

No parity has been initiated, yet.

I stop the array and say disk #1 is none.  Move down to disk #9 and tell the GUI what serial number that disk is, so forth and so on.  Start the array up and this doesn't take.

Can it not be done?

I think this is a good solution because in two years from now when disk #14 fails I don't have to match up a serial number with a bay slot, I just know #14 is the 14th bay slot.  I've only copied to one drive about 1TB of data so far.

Is this possible to associate disk # with the actual bay #?

UnRAID recognizes disks by Serial, not by position.  If you want the physical position to match the GUI, why not just move any disks already configured to the correct physical position.

Because he doesn't want to? You should be able to set a new configuration, then assign them to whatever slot you want.

However... leaving space now for ventilation doesn't really make much sense if you are planning on fully populating the case later. Either the ventilation is sufficient for a fully populated rack or it isn't.

I'd say just do what itimpi said and put them in the matching slots you already assigned. I can see no real reason not to.