Motherboard Failure -- Help

wrotruck

Hello:

I have just experienced a motherboard failure on my unraid system.  My USB drive is intact and seems to be working. (Plugged it into another PC and booted to the boot loader.)  Haven't been able to test the drives as of yet.  So the question becomes, if I swap out the mother board will Unraid still see the array or have I lost the data?

Thanks...

-Wil

Hello:

I have just experienced a motherboard failure on my unraid system.  My USB drive is intact and seems to be working. (Plugged it into another PC and booted to the boot loader.)  Haven't been able to test the drives as of yet.  So the question becomes, if I swap out the mother board will Unraid still see the array or have I lost the data?

Thanks...

-Wil

It will see the data just fine.  The only thing that might happen is some of the "devices" on the MB will be detected in a different order.  When you re-start, if the config in the flash drive does not match the management page will say "Too many wrong or missing disks" if it cannot figure things out.  You will need to go to the "devices" page and re-assign the disks back to their original "logical" slots in the array.

Whatever you do, do NOT reformat anything, there is no need if it was just the MB that failed.

Before you do that, you might want to re-seat your RAM, it might be as simple as that.  (Happened to me no too long ago.  Until I removed it I did not even get POST "beep" codes.  Once it was re-seated, I was back up and running.)

Joe L.

Thanks to all for the help.  I swapped the board last night and all seems to be working.

Of course, the new Mother Board I selected has a SB700 chips set so, everything is working but I am getting the error noted already well documented on these board.  So, I'll be waiting to see if it's going to cause any problems.

Thanks again for the help.

-Wil