Auto wake up?

Thanks for the replies. I don't think most devices will autosend a magic packet, and I want to make it easy for other people to use. If the motherboard supports WOL and have a Intel I217 ethernet controller, could unRAID wake up (from Hibernate?) if it detects someone is trying to access one of the network drives? Or do I have to buy another card like Intel PWLA8391GT?

I also did some searching and read about ARP. Does that helps if the network card supports that?

Thanks for the replies. I don't think most devices will autosend a magic packet, and I want to make it easy for other people to use. If the motherboard supports WOL and have a Intel I217 ethernet controller, could unRAID wake up (from Hibernate?) if it detects someone is trying to access one of the network drives? Or do I have to buy another card like Intel PWLA8391GT?

I also did some searching and read about ARP. Does that helps if the network card supports that?

There are apps for the iPad, Nexus, etc. that send magic packets ... and you can create a simple shortcut on any PC's desktop to a simple touch on a tablet or double-click on a PC will turn on the server.  It DOES require that you configure the app (with the appropriate MAC address) ... but the apps even make that very simple to do.    The Intel card you listed supports WOL, but it will still require a "magic packet" to invoke the wake-up.

Not sure you can configure an Android device to do this;  but on a PC you could easily use a simple command file to auto-send a WOL packet whenever you loaded an application that was going to require the network resources from the server it was "waking up."

• 3 years later...

This Script should do it.

Just paste it into S3 Sleep settings in the custom command box (post sleep)

It will wakeup every day at 09.55.( Monday to Friday) So you can set jobs for 10.00.

Be sure you disabled resume by rtc alarm in bios and set the bios time to rtc time.

time=09:55

now=$(date +%s)

other=$(date -d $time +%s)

dayofweek=$(date +%u)

if [ $now -ge $other  ] && [ $dayofweek -lt 5 ]

then

echo `date '+%s' --date='tomorrow 09:55:00'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

elif [ $dayofweek -ge 5 ]

then

echo `date '+%s' --date='next monday 09:55:00'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

else

echo `date '+%s' --date='today 09:55:00'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

fi