New Unraid Server Build

I have the 24 bay case mentioned here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative

It works great for what it does but the stock CPU are not ideal.  I would like to build a new unraid server and gut the inside of this and replace it with a new one. 

That being said I am looking for a config that will let me connect my 24 hard drives that wont break the bank.  I could spend about 1k.  I have some equipment Q6600 type processors memory etc and if I could reuse it that would be great but if I cannot find a mobo or controller that supports the number of connections I need with that CPU/memory type then I am open to new cpu/memory etc.

I looked at some motherboards and I was looking at the LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i card.  So i guess I would need something that has 3 pci express x8 slots.  Right now my extra mobo has just a single x16 slot

I could even consider just building a new system for this but I assume a new 24bay case is going to make that out of my reach considering everything else that would need to be bought.

Well any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!  Just looking for ideas.

what is you issues with the CPU?

is it AMD?

is it Intel?

what your goal for the end result system?

I have the AMD quad core setup from TAMs my self

I upgraded the CPUs to 2 hexacore  and added RAM

mod the PSU to regualr ATX to reduce the noise.

it works.

the only issue I have is that the hardware is not 100% virtualization capable

so ESXi does no do the PCI passthrough. I am tryin gto build a Xen based server.

Real Xen not Citrix XenServer though.

I think any MB with PCI-X slots will set you back a chunk of cash.

I used a SuperMicro X7SBE with ESXi for a while. I had 5.9GB of memory out of 8GB installed available for VMs using pass through PCIe/X devices.  My Windows VM would lock up after a few weeks and I would have to restart it but the unRAID VM just kept trucking along no problems.  I fixed the Windows VM by upgrading to a X9SCM-F MB.  Note I had to use Bios 2.0a to get ESXi to work at all on the X7SBE MB. 

Edit: I was using a Q9550S CPU and the Q95XX versions might be required for VT-d pass through but I could easily be wrong.

what is you issues with the CPU?

is it AMD?

is it Intel?

what your goal for the end result system?

I have the AMD quad core setup from TAMs my self

I upgraded the CPUs to 2 hexacore  and added RAM

mod the PSU to regualr ATX to reduce the noise.

it works.

the only issue I have is that the hardware is not 100% virtualization capable

so ESXi does no do the PCI passthrough. I am tryin gto build a Xen based server.

Real Xen not Citrix XenServer though.

I think any MB with PCI-X slots will set you back a chunk of cash.

I have the AMD one.

I just dont feel like it performs very well.  But maybe that is just me.  As far as the extras that I have installed, mysql, couchpotato, sickbeard, etc I just feel like a more modern CPU will run better.  I did upgrade to dual hex core cpus.

well you can probably sell most/all you current parts on ebay

that would net you couple of hundred dollars.

since you already have the case

check this build(s) out  :

1. "http://thehomeserverblog.com/esxi/esxi-5-0-amd-whitebox-server-for-500-with-passthrough-iommu/"

2."http://thehomeserverblog.com/esxi/esxi-5-0-amd-whitebox-server-for-500-with-passthrough-iommu-build-2/"

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 — $75

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core — $120

RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-1333 — $120

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD6670 PCI-e x16 Low-Profile — $90

ESXi Host Video Card: ATI Rage XL Pro 8BM PCI — $8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS3041E-4-Port-2-4Gb-s-SAS-SATA-PCI-E-Adapter-Card-/220770487345

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.  I have been in the Intel camp for quite a few years and I now prefer Intel over AMD.  Is there a reason why I would choose AMD over Intel for this specific Unraid on ESXi build?

Thanks,

Scott

no reason at all.

it just happens  the guide I found was based on AMD.

likely because AMD builds are usually cheaper compared to Intel.

I also find that AMD more often than none more easier and cheaper  to upgrade  as well.

Intel is notorious for changing the underlying infrastructure with each and every CPU they churn out.

meaning new MB infrastructure, new socket layout etc.

thus if you want to update to newer CPU you most likely need to change MB and RAM as well.

with AMD you usually just get a newer CPU and it works. (maybe not every time bit most of the time.)

or vise versa, if you want to use new MB it most likely can support older CPU in the socket thus allowing for you to run older CPU until you ready to update.

other than that you choose what you like, based on you preferences and/or needs.

I am in the other camp, I prefer  AMD based builds, and have been doing it for years.