ffmpeg or handbrakeCLI for unRAID?

I've seen multiple threads dating all the way back to 2010 about running ffmpeg or handbrakecli on unraid.

My thought is: I have a lot of mkvs (movies and tv shows)

I need to convert the container to MKV (the encoding is fine) because as MKVs, my rokus need transcoding from my server. and that's fine since I have a quad core and it can easily handle my rokus. But my thought is, why not convert it all and never have to transcode it?

So what are my solutions here guys? I'm on the verge of installing a virtualbox on my unraid (for other reasons/necessities) and I might just use that virtual box to do the processing but I figured doing it natively would be more efficient

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, Roku (1 and 2 XS) can direct play mkv from plex media server.  I do it multiple times a day.

That said, it is indeed still a bit unpredictable on raw BD rips.  While Plex can transcode them on the fly just fine for me I would pref not to for quality (no way a plex real-time transcode is as good as a handbrake transcode on the side) and space reasons so I too would love to get handbrake working on unraid.