4 Port PCI-E 1x Sata Cards?

worldgate

Does a 4 port pci-e 1x card exist that can handle 3TB/4TB drives?  I'm not raiding them together, all JBOD.  I ask because I've been trying to find 4 port cards for my two pci-e 1x ports and a card that can do 4-8 for my normal PCI slot.  I have a Raidmax Seiran case, thats white, that I have been trying to fit potentially 15 drives into.  The motherboard i have is salvaged from an old gateway machine, it has 5 SATA ports and 1 SATA/ESATA port.  So i either need to get 2x2 port PCI-E cards and find a 8 port PCI card.  Havent been able to find any, except one that has 4 ports but two are PATA which is confusing since PATA doesnt come in a SATA form factor.

Any help would be great.

I would seriously reconsider getting older or specialty SATA cards and go with a modern motherboard.

In the long run you will have better features and performance.

When getting into the 3TB/4TB drive range, an adminstrator needs to think about speed for parity checks.

8 ports on a PCI bus will work fine for simple reads, but when doing full server parity operations (check/generate) it's going to be a bottleneck.

In addition, by the time 2x4 port PCIe cards and an 8 port PCI card are sourced, you could invest into a nice motherboard and an 8 port PCIe card or go with a couple 4 port PCIe cards.

Supermicro has an 8 port PCI-X card that can work in a PCI slot as long as the pins do not touch anything else on the motherboard. Perhaps tape them. 

However I would still suggest a motherboard upgrade if large drives are going to be used.

Does a 4 port pci-e 1x card exist that can handle 3TB/4TB drives?

Yes, this card works with drives > 2TB, so you can use 3TB, 4TB, 5TB, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064

I've been trying to find 4 port cards for my two pci-e 1x ports and a card that can do 4-8 for my normal PCI slot.

Note that the bandwidth on a PCI slot is LOWER than on a PCIe x1 slot.  You do NOT want to put 8 drives on a PCI slot => although that's not an issue, as you won't find more than a 4-port card  :)

In fact, I wouldn't put more than 2 drives on a PCI slot controller.

I completely agree with WeeboTech that you should really abandon your goal here and buy a modern motherboard with multiple PCIe x4 (or above) slots, so you can add a good controller with sufficient bandwidth.

If, however, you don't care about parity check speeds, you COULD build a 15-drive system with the board you have using (a) the 5 motherboard ports;  (b) two of the 4-port PCIe x1 cards I listed above; and © a 2-port PCI card.    This would work fine -- at full speed for most reads and writes (except those on the PCI slot controller) -- but would be very slow when doing parity checks, the initial parity sync, and any drive rebuilds.

However I would still suggest a motherboard upgrade if large drives are going to be used.

The problem is that all of the 'server' motherboards are eATX and the cases I can use, at this time, are ATX.  Is there any motherboards that are ATX compliant, ie fit into an ATX case, that would be able to support better cards?  I do have an LSI card that is 8 port thats eATX and i taped off the last part of it so that it wouldnt touch anything.  Only case, with 9 bays down the front, I could find was the Raidmax Seiran.

Assuming I don't use the raid, the PCI-E card the other person pointed to should be fine for reading and writing to the drives until I have the capacity to have a rack type setup?

NOTE: Forgot to mention the PCI-X card only supports 2TB drives.

SuperMicro makes several nice ATX (and even uATX boards) that work very nicely with UnRAID.

For example, for the latest Socket 1150 Haswell CPU's:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1150

Wow some of them have a massive amount of SATA connectors making a card almost pointless.  You know of any similarly good/decent previous generation boards?  I'm not doing enterprise here, im just setting up a place to put dumps of my movies from bluray/dvd/hddvd and a few laserdiscs.  (Yea i know, laserdiscs are old, but so is vinyl.)

You know of any similarly good/decent previous generation boards?

Just scroll down the page I gave you the link to above => pick your socket and you'll see the list of boards.  The Socket 1155 boards are for the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU's

... just setting up a place to put dumps of my movies from bluray/dvd/hddvd and a few laserdiscs.  (Yea i know, laserdiscs are old, but so is vinyl.)

Definitely understand.    I ripped over 800 vinyls over the past decade or so (just got rid of them last year after I finished all the rips and scanning all the jackets).    I've also got a few VHS tapes that I recorded to digital media  :)

The laserdiscs I have are movies like stand up comedy, george carlin, etc.  For about a year or so i went on a laserdisc collecting spree, didn't realize that they would be so heavy to move, but they look nice on the shelf stacked there.  Most everyone confuses them with vinyl, to which i tell them, 'well your close enough'.

So would a PCI-X motherboard be worse than having the 4x pci-e slots if i was going to eventually have an unraid server?  Alot of these boards seem to have a lot of pci-x slots, and a good majority of sata cards seem to be pci-x.

A 64-bit PCI-X slot has plenty of bandwidth for 4 or even (if it's the latest version) 8 SATA ports.  It's "better" than a PCIe x2 slot, but slightly slower than a PCIe x4 slot.

If you have some PCI-X cards they're fine to use ... FAR better than using a PCI slot. (at least 8 times the bandwidth).    But given a choice (i.e. you're buying new cards) I'd go with PCIe x4 or higher.  There are some excellent motherboards with 3 or more PCIe x4 slots ... e.g. the X9SCM-iiF has 4 PCIe x8 slots (2 of them operate at x4).

I think its going to take some time to come up with the money to afford one of these server boards.  The more i look at them the more im convinced they are a better way to do things than repurposing an old desktop.  I suppose for now i can get some of those pci-e 1x cards just for handling the drives.  How much processing power would this unraid need?  I suppose i would need at least DD2/3 or better for faster processing?

If you're just going to use UnRAID for its basic purpose -- as a fault-tolerant NAS -- any CPU will be fine.  Not sure what you're asking about r.e. "... at least DD2/3 ..") => if you're referring to the memory you need (DDR, DDR2, DDR3), that is determined by what the motherboard uses ... you can't change it.

If you're just going to use UnRAID for its basic purpose -- as a fault-tolerant NAS -- any CPU will be fine.  Not sure what you're asking about r.e. "... at least DD2/3 ..") => if you're referring to the memory you need (DDR, DDR2, DDR3), that is determined by what the motherboard uses ... you can't change it.

I was just wondering if the cpu/memory type mattered as much for parity like the speed of the pci slot does?  I don't want to buy another motherboard and processor down the road because it takes 400 hours to rebuild a drive if one should fail.

I was just wondering if the cpu/memory type mattered as much for parity like the speed of the pci slot does?  I don't want to buy another motherboard and processor down the road because it takes 400 hours to rebuild a drive if one should fail.

CPU does not matter that much. Even an ATOM is capable of handling the parity checks/generate at a reasonable speed.

Memory matters if you want to have frequent data buffered.  512MB being the minimum, 2GB for a budget conscious build, 4GB being a current high level. You can go higher, but the return on investment gets smaller.    The amount of ram 'can' aid parity build/check speeds if you bump up the unRAID tunables.

What really matters most is the choice of slots, controllers and layout (internal build) of the board.

Archived