[SOLVED] Can't execute files from unRaid server

rhino

Hi guys.

Apologies in advance for my noobness.

I've been 'running' my unRaid server for a couple of weeks now but I'm trying to work through some issues that are really kicking my arse.

I'm new to linux.

I'm new to unraid.

I'm new to networking.

The trifecta?!

One of the problems I'm having, is that I cannot run exe files from the server (and possibly related, self-extracting zip files).

I can download files to it successfully, but running them produces a Windows error:

\\SERVER\path\fileI'mtryingtorun.exe

The parameter is incorrect.

I would love it if you were able to assist.

As an aside, the other issue I'm having, is that when I reboot my PC, it stops seeing the server until I reboot the array.

I also seem to have to have Local Master Browser set to YES in unRaid or it breaks the shares as well...

I don't want to confuse the issue, but though it might be important to add in case they're related somehow.

I'm running Windows 8.1 and unRaid 5.0 on an HP Proliant Microserver

Cheers for reading, and please let me know if you need any more information.

syslog.zip

To jump to the chase, you will probably want to upgrade to the latest version of unRAID, v 5.0.4 as there has been an update to the SMB package. Of course, take the usual precautions when doing any updating of unRAID like backing up your current USB flash drive.

BTW, SMB is the protocol Windows uses for sharing; the generic implementation of this is known as SAMBA. And with Win 8.1 it's important to have the latest version, in my opinion.

Searching the web for "the parameter is incorrect" errors for Windows doesn't reveal any obvious and specific error. One that I like has to do with the path to the file is too long. If you have deeply nested files Windows chokes at a path greater than 256 characters.

If that doesn't apply to your situation then I'd suggest looking into your Windows logs to see if the error is logged and has more specific info. You may have already seen solutions where "Error 0x80070057" is part of the message.

On the unRAID side, are you running any plug-ins or the newer (more eye-pleasing) webGUI? And I guess it wouldn't hurt to post your syslog again now that you've upgrade.

BTW, just so I understand, you have executable files located on the unRAID server that you wish to run from your Windows client?

Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Like my other thread/issue, it looks like this is "solved" but I'm not sure why.

Disconnected my Microsoft account, worked perfectly.

Reconnected the MS account - got the same "The parameter is incorrect" error.

Disconnected the MS account, works perfectly.

So, it's the MS account that is borking it.

But... why?

So, it's the MS account that is borking it. But... why?

The obvious answer,I think, is because the username of the Microsoft account is different than the local account username. I noticed something similar with my Win 8 "test" system.  As I recall, my local user account would be something like, "doorunrun" but my MS account username was "Doo Runrun" but they were given the same "home" folder on the Win 8 system.

Perhaps if you can create an unRAID user account that is exactly the same as the MS Account it will work?

I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Looks like this might be a Windows 8 (8.1) issue.

I just went out to the garage and tried running the same files I'm having an issue with on my main PC - from there.

It's a Windows 7 machine.

No problems at all.

Using 8.1 here also and get the same error i just copy the file to the desktop and execute from  there, a pain but works. I had to mess about with the credentials vault in win8.1 to get it to connect to my sever but least it connects now lol.

Be curious to see how to fix this though as never had the issues on win7.

Doorunrun, the profile name was the first thing I checked... and it's the same (or remains unchanged).

But there must be something buried further down.

Harpz, I did circumvent the issue the same way - but:

a) it certainly is not a solution

b) it still didn't work 100% of the time

You didn't have a problem on Win7 because you didn't/couldn't log in with a Microsoft account.

Just go into settings and disconnect your MS account.

I don't feel like I'm losing anything by doing that - and gain uninterrupted access to my NAS :)

Just go into settings and disconnect your MS account.

I don't feel like I'm losing anything by doing that - and gain uninterrupted access to my NAS :)

I could do that just wouldn't piratical as i use my ms account for a few things and kids use my ms account to play games they mess about with on the computer.

Shame there isn't another solution.

Edit Found a way that doesn't throw that error, make sure the workgroup is set as it is in unraid, its case sensitive, in my case workgroup is IRPL and not irpl, the problem I have now is I cant connect with //pluto in explorer I have to connect with //192.168.1.200 also had to redo my mapped drives befor they said //pluto/TV_Shows now they say //192.168.1.200/TV_Shows

Cant connect by double clicking pluto in network either now, could before, now to figure out what's causing that, ideas?

Got the shares sorted out again but they throw "The parameter is incorrect" error when i try to run an exe based on the share.

\\pluto\dump\random.exe - "The parameter is incorrect" error.

\\192.168.1.200\dump\random.exe - Works as it should

Does this work for you rhino if you substitute the server name for its ip?

Archived