Can't write to shares on a consistent basis -

Upgraded to Mavericks (what a hell this has been) from 10.6  Since then it's been a struggle.  Ran the code to connect as SMB one and connect with finder using cifs://website name/ but like 8/10 times it won't write.  It gives me the file is in use so I can't write.  Any ideas?  Is it an unraid thing or a mac thing? 

Cautions...

1. simplefeatures is no  longer supported.

2. be sure your Parity is accurate before upgrading (just in case. :)

3. the 5.0.3 version changes the server names a little bit. (what was 'Tower' is now 'Tower-AFP' and what was 'Tower-SMB' is just 'Tower'. This aligns with the direction of OS X, which is to drop AFP entirely.

In the new unRaid there's a Release Notes File...You'll notice in the release notes file, that there are lots of changes to Samba.

Just follow this directions for your specific case, which will refer you to this link:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_Instructions

The provided instructions  go all the way back to upgrading from 4.7

(I've been keeping step with the releases, and I don't want to make a mistake and miss a step and screw up your server.  The provided instructions  go all the way back to upgrading from 4.7)

Finally got it to work.  Long story that involves not having the make bootable file and then the sysconfig file bah.  Anyways.  Writing right now.  Are you still using cifs:// to connect via finder or just back to regular?  The speed leaves something to be desired as I'm only writing at 100 KB/s...that can't be right... any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this'll help, but try instead connecting via: smb://...

Cifs forces the mavericks computer to try and connect via smb1, which I believe has been deprecated on mavericks, whereas smb connects via smb2, which I believe unraid supports (no problem on my end with an all-mavericks mix of desktops/laptops...)

I've no problems with OS X Mavericks, unRAID (since 5.0.3), AFP and regular SMB (not cifs:).

Going to unRAID 5.0.3 and since has really cleared up the SMB problems.

Once upon a time, I would check TimeMachine twice a day just to be sure it was still connected.

I haven't had to do that since unRAID 5.0.3.

If your writes are 100 kb/s then there's something wrong.

• 1 year later...

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but is there a set of Terminal commands I can run from a local Mac machine connected to my unRAID box to access the unRAID server console command line (for the purposes of running SMART reports or running the reiserfsck tool)?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but is there a set of Terminal commands I can run from a local Mac machine connected to my unRAID box to access the unRAID server console command line (for the purposes of running SMART reports or running the reiserfsck tool)?

Start a new thread.