[REQ] A Newbie Guide to Virtualization, unRAID 64, and unRAID Distro

going a vm route.. and now people are running sab on their unraid box and lets say sab is extracting a 1:1 bluray (50gb).. that can be quite taxing on the hd/cpu/memory. wont it negatively affect unraid? wont it kill the cache drive speeds/space/etc?

We aren't reinventing the wheel or blazing any new trails here.

There are millions of servers that run thousands of VMs accessing, reading, writing, etc. various data in RAID / Distributed file systems no problems.

Unpacking a rar file, renaming it and moving it... Isn't rocket science or complicated to Linux / unRAID.

also, can the vm run off its own hd so you segment those read/write hits from the rest of the unraid os?

You are way over thinking this but to answer your question, yes you could run it on a different drive if you wanted too. You still have to copy it back over to unRAID so I am not sure what that really gets you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going a vm route.. and now people are running sab on their unraid box and lets say sab is extracting a 1:1 bluray (50gb).. that can be quite taxing on the hd/cpu/memory. wont it negatively affect unraid? wont it kill the cache drive speeds/space/etc?

We aren't reinventing the wheel or blazing any new trails here.

There are millions of servers that run thousands of VMs accessing, reading, writing, etc. various data in RAID / Distributed file systems no problems.

Unpacking a rar file, renaming it and moving it... Isn't rocket science or complicated to Linux / unRAID.

also, can the vm run off its own hd so you segment those read/write hits from the rest of the unraid os?

You are way over thinking this but to answer your question, yes you could run it on a different drive if you wanted too. You still have to copy it back over to unRAID so I am not sure what that really gets you.

i currently have a small 40gb ssd as my cache drive (old drive just trying to get some use out of it). i would assume a vm image+using this drive is going to decrease the life of it and eat up a bit of space. i have another small ssd laying around, just was curious if i could use it for that purpose or not.

i currently have a small 40gb ssd as my cache drive (old drive just trying to get some use out of it). i would assume a vm image+using this drive is going to decrease the life of it and eat up a bit of space. i have another small ssd laying around, just was curious if i could use it for that purpose or not.

I'd love to see best practices that would try to account for most of the variations of going VM with pieced together hardware.

In my case, I have a second USB flash drive I was going to use for booting maybe CentOS, Arch, or OpenSUSE to run KVM. Then I have two smaller 64GB SSDs I was going to software RAID1 for my datastores. Should I just run my host Linux distro from those SSDs along with the datastores, or would my USB host + SSDs datastores be a good direction?