Slow write speed after upgrading from 5.0 RC10 to 5.0.x

My unraid server is mostly a set it up and then let it run, I don't upgrade it very often.  I used 5.0b12a for quite a while and then went to 5.0RC10 last year, both of which were relatively stable.  I finally upgraded to 5.0.4, and while everything seemed fine initially, the write speed went down quite a bit.

On RC10, writing to the cache drive directly reported speeds above 100MB/s, writing to the cache drive through a user share reported speeds of 60MB/s and writing to the 7200RPM parity protected drive reported speeds of 40MB/s.

On 5.0.2 & 5.0.4, writing to the cache drive directly reported speeds of just over 30MB/s, writing to the cache drive through a user share reported speeds of 20MB/s and writing to the 7200RPM parity protected drive reported speeds of under 15MB/s.

Download speeds from the unraid server were not affected.  Write speeds to the unraid server were tested over SMB and from different Windows 7 and Ubuntu linux machines.  Changing the CPU scaling governor did not make a difference on 5.0.x, and nothing else is running on the server other than unraid.  I disabled unmenu for this testing and was copying various 1GB VOB files for the test. 

The motherboard is an ECS A885GM-A2, 4GB of memory, BR10i & M1015 PCIE cards and AMD 250u CPU.  The CPU is low powered, but it's not showing any unusual load in 5.0.x.  The network card is the onboard Realtek 8111DL.

EDIT: If I go back to 5.0RC10, the speeds are normal.  The slowdown is only on my main server, my secondary "basic" server is fine on 5.0.4, even though it's using older and slower hardware.

syslog-RC10.zip

syslog-504.zip

• 4 months later...

Stock unraid, no plugins at all.  New motherboard is Asrock 970 extreme4 with 16GB of memory.  Both use a Realtek onboard NIC, so it could be that driver as well.  I should have a PCI NIC around somewhere, maybe I'll test that out.