ASUS H87I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H87 Mini ITX Motherboard

Long story short, I had to replace my ASUS P8 H77-I motherboard. Since I wanted to upgrade my i3 CPU to get ready for virtualization, I also got an i5-4570S CPU.

The ASUS H87I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H87 Mini ITX Motherboard is apparently the HASWELL successor to the P8H77-I, with 6 onboard 6Gbps SATA ports.

It took me longer to get the BIOS to boot from flash than it did to get the hardware swapped out. I think the key setting was something called CSM (compatibility support module) in the BOOT menu, but I may have touched some other settings as well so if anyone has any problems with this let me know and I will check the details.

There are actually 2 virtualization settings in the BIOS, Intel Virtualization Technology in the CPU settings, and VT-d in the System Agent settings. I turned them both on but haven't tried anything yet. We'll see how well ASUS supports this with this board.

I have a 2nd flash drive plugged in and ready to go for unRAID 64. Just waiting on a new key from Tom.

No unRAID issues thus far. I'll see how the monthly parity check goes in a few days.

I hope you have better luck than I did.  I had the same mobo with a Pentium 3430 and had nothing but issues, mainly MCE errors in the system logs and freeze ups. Changed out to an old 775 socket Mobo & CPU  (q6600) and never had a hitch since. Didn't have the skills to really troubleshoot although I reached out to the forum for help and got plenty of it, nothing seemed to fix the issues. Again I hope all goes well, just sharing my experience with this mobo.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

That's an excellent board -- I've used it in several builds.  But I don't recall any issues getting it to boot from the USB flash unit.    Did you update the board to the latest BIOS?

FWIW I'd use this board if I was updating a mini-ITX system for virtualization:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157466

... IPMI, ECC memory support, plus 6 SATA ports -- in fact, that's almost certainly the board I'll use for my next mini-ITX build, with or without virtualization.

Coupled with an e3-1220v3 it'd be an excellent system.    Computationally, it's almost identical to the i5-4570s you bought ... it actually slightly outscores it on PassMark (7022 vs 6853)

I did update the BIOS but that didn't immediately fix my boot from flash until I made some other BIOS settings changes. Possible I was just overthinking that part but I did get it going eventually.

Not sure the extra $130 for that other board and CPU would have passed WAF.

No MCE errors in my syslog so far.

Glad it's working.  I agree the cost is very attractive on the Asus ... and it's an excellent board.    I found a "fix" for WAF many years ago ... just let her have whatever she wants and I can do the same  :)      ... can be a bit pricey from time-to-time, however => just bought new countertops this week  8)

Re: WAF strategy

I do that too but somehow she usually manages to convince me the what I want isn't very important. I almost never try to convince her that what she wants isn't important.

New tech toys (relatively inexpensive) that only I will care about vs. home remodel (often very expensive) that I should care about.

unRAID has saved her important files from oblivion on more than one occasion though.

I almost never try to convince her that what she wants isn't important.

DEFINITELY a good idea !!  :)

[i've tried that in years past, but learned long ago it was best to live with the "what mama wants, mama gets" philosophy !!    ... we're at 40 years & counting, so I guess it's worked out okay  8) ]

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short, I had to replace my ASUS P8 H77-I motherboard. Since I wanted to upgrade my i3 CPU to get ready for virtualization, I also got an i5-4570S CPU.

The ASUS H87I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H87 Mini ITX Motherboard is apparently the HASWELL successor to the P8H77-I, with 6 onboard 6Gbps SATA ports.

It took me longer to get the BIOS to boot from flash than it did to get the hardware swapped out. I think the key setting was something called CSM (compatibility support module) in the BOOT menu, but I may have touched some other settings as well so if anyone has any problems with this let me know and I will check the details.

There are actually 2 virtualization settings in the BIOS, Intel Virtualization Technology in the CPU settings, and VT-d in the System Agent settings. I turned them both on but haven't tried anything yet. We'll see how well ASUS supports this with this board.

I have a 2nd flash drive plugged in and ready to go for unRAID 64. Just waiting on a new key from Tom.

No unRAID issues thus far. I'll see how the monthly parity check goes in a few days.

Been trying to get unRAID to boot an ASUS Z87-Plus with no luck. I'm hoping whatever BIOS settings you changed on your H87 will do the trick. Can you provide more details?

EDIT: Nevermind, finally got it to work. I forgot to try updating the BIOS. Once I did that and added irqpoll, everything was hunky dory.

I'm using the same mobo and didn't have to change any settings on bios to have it boot unraid, other than the 1st boot device. But I do have that MCE thing on my sys log once in a blue moon, though it has not caused any issues so far. I even had power loss to the server quite a number of time and don't even have a parity drive yet, and every thing is just fine for now. The Intel NIC is superb too.

Didn't know it supports vt D. Guess I might change to an i5 in the future if I ever need that. For now the 4130 is more than capable for three concurrent Plex 1080p streams. Loving the hardware and software :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I bought the equipment for HP Asus MOCA-AR Calcite-GL8E Desktop Motherboard MINI-ITX 5188-5155 Calcite 6502 which says it is good for Linux.  I try to boot from a USB stick, created through the Ubuntu "create a USB bootable flash drive" but after showing the Ubuntu icon it just hangs.  I've exhausted the different forums.  Other than buying new hardware, which people know to work, does anyone have suggestions, or is there even a link that gives the steps to boot this device an any other OS so I can verify all the hardware is compatible?

HPAsusMocaARCalciteGL8EminiITX51885155.JPG

MotherbaordSpec.JPG

IntelChip.JPG

RAM.JPG

ATXpower.JPG

PowerAdaptor.JPG