No space left (but that is wrong)

I am copying a new 1MB file onto my unRAID server, and keep getting reports of "No space left on device". As far as I can tell I have plenty of space:

Disk 1 Free 0 ( I have 4 disks with 0)

Disk 12 Free 2,62 TB

Same at Files which are on my server, if i want to copy it in some (not all, someones are ok) other directions it says no free space left. If i create a new direction at the root of the server, I can copy every file!

The share in question has the following details:

Share settings:

Name: cheffe

Comments: Alle Dateien

Allocation method: Most-free

Min. -free space: 0 (i testet 1000000)

Split level: 99999999

Included disks:

Excluded disks:

Share empty: No

SMB Security settings:

Export: Yes

Security: Public

Log:

Jan 30 22:21:49 Tower shfs/user: shfs_rename: create_path: cheffe/Dokumente/Ebooks/Shades of Grey/Wolf, Klaus-Peter - Ostfriesensunde (Ebook) (28) No space left on device    (But this file is on the Server at cheffe/Dokumente/Ebooks/  !!!!)

change the split level for this share from 9999999 to something closer to zero.

Your disks #1,3,5,8 really are full, even though there is free space on other drives.

I'd guess that when your Cheffe share was created, the first file was written to one of the currently full disks (#1,3,5,8).

Ever since then, the split level has forced ALL writes to Cheffe to go to the same disk #.

Now that disk is full, and the share can't be written to any other disk.

You can verify that all of the Cheffe files are on one disk by opening the SHARES tab on the GUI.

Then on the line for 'cheffe' share, click on the little folder icon on the right side of the page.

A new web page will show you which physical disks contain the share's contents.

oh. I didn't realize quite what you'd set up.  ::)

Did you blank out the folder names from that screenshot? (just verifying that they're not really all called " " :) )

So I still suspect the problem is the split level of 999999999999.

Is there a particular reason for you to force all your files to be in such a rigid tree structure?

On that web page from the screenshot, follow this path down to the files:

cheffe/Dokumente/Ebooks/

I'd guess that either 'Dokumente' or 'Ebooks' shows a 'location' of one of (Disk1,3,5, or 8 ) and no other drives.

Those 4 drives are full...and the very high share level setting is forcing new added files to be on that full disk.

yes i blank it out ;)

I have change the split level to 12, but it still not work. i take such a high split level, because i never want the message your disk is full ;)

maybe the problem was the old maximum free parameter, which i has 0 before i change it. Maybe the only chance is to change the 2tb full disk with new 4 tb disks. the only problem than is the one full 4tb.

documents: cache,disk1,3,4,7,10,11

the ebook direction is on disk 1 and cache. the other problem is, the cache drive does not move the files anymore. i can manuel start the mover, but no file will be moving. the cache has always 7,3 GB left.

---deleted thanks to itimpi, who points out the error in my thinking.... :)     

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#Split_level

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_5        "Split Level"

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1837.msg13416#msg13416    "Cannot move data from cache to array"

EDIT: Above links are good references. I deleted my original comment because it was 'flat out wrong'. See itimpi's comment following.

Disk 1 is full. And the split level restricts ALL ebook files to just that disk.

A high split level doesn't spread files out across the disks, it restricts them to fewer and fewer disks.

In your current configuration, ALL files from the 'eBook', and continuing down through 10 more levels of folders Must be on the same physical disk...(Disk 1).

Either swap out Disk 1 for a larger drive,

or set the split level to ONE for that share.

That is not how split levels work - small values are more restrictive!

I am wondering if the fact that some disks are completely full is the root of the problem in some way.  Moving some items off the completely full drives might help by giving a little headroom.

Archived