Blu ray copy sometimes doesn't play

I'm pretty much throwing this out there wondering if anyone knows what I need to target in order to correct this:

Maybe one in every 10 blu ray (never had a SD DVD do this) copies to my unRaid won't play correctly.  They play quite pixellated (through XBMC on Windows 8 machine).  But, the file plays fine on the machine it was originally ripped to (see below).  Can't decide if it's a bad rip (not likely, more of that later), bad copy to external drive, bad upload or unRaid needing to be restarted.?.

I rip a blu ray to my main rig (windows 7, solid current spec machine).  Blu ray plays fine.

I copy to external SSD to transfer to my unRaid (main computer at work, unraid at home).

Upload from external SSD drive to unRaid at home through a current spec Windows 8 to unRaid over wired connection.  Blu ray doesn't play (new NUC i5 XBMC).

I've sometimes had to restart my unRaid to play the movie, sometimes restart the computer that runs XBMC to play the movie correctly and sometimes had to re-copy the movie to my unraid to play it correctly.

I'm thinking there's something in the chain that is finicky.  Thoughts?

And one last question.  If I have to delete a big file (blu ray rip) from my unraid. Does copying after that delete cause the hard drive to be (can't think of the word...) scattered in how the next few files are written to it?

Not sure what might be causing the BluRay playback issue ... but as for your 2nd question:

" (can't think of the word...) "

Fragmented.    ... and no, Reiserfs does a good job of minimizing fragmentation ... it will still encounter some as files are added/deleted/changed, but you don't need to do specific defragmentation like you do with Windows OS's.