HOWTO Section

burtjr

With the buzz of XEN/unRAID it may be time to start up a how to section so items such as Tom's beta 6 guide (will change as we go through the testing process), Grumpy's, and Iconics guides don't get lost in the threads. I thought about this as the Beta 6 page has grown to 32 pages and Tom's install guide would need to be copy and pasted several times as new betas come out. Thoughts?

True, but.......that is where I ultimately see the problem, the wiki's suffer from middle child syndrome "ignored until the data is out of date." I don't see this changing anytime soon as we rely on volunteers to keep them up to date, and that hasn't happened on a consistent basis the 3 years I've been here. Although the wiki's are great the process we have in place is inadequate and we either need to change the way we capture the instructions or change the way the wiki's are updated. The way I see it unless someone is paid to do so they will forever be out f date.

Burt

True, but.......that is where I ultimately see the problem, the wiki's suffer from middle child syndrome "ignored until the data is out of date." I don't see this changing anytime soon as we rely on volunteers to keep them up to date, and that hasn't happened on a consistent basis the 3 years I've been here. Although the wiki's are great the process we have in place is inadequate and we either need to change the way we capture the instructions or change the way the wiki's are updated. The way I see it unless someone is paid to do so they will forever be out f date.

Burt

This exactly.

I'd much rather see Guides that are up to date and easy to maintain. This really feels like an area that Limetech should be responsible for, but ultimately the burden will fall on the community.

Forums are not the place for guides and are lacking in key features for authoring guides.....wikis are designed for this purpose and we have a long out standing task to start moving the existing guides over.

All we need is to start a culture change of people wirting in the wiki and linking back or i wonder if there is a forum tag that could show wiki text inline.