Cant get my head around shares, help needed.

Hi

A simple scenario, my unraid 5 setup currently consists of 1 parity and two data disks and is used only for DVD media.

Because of constraints (mainly financial  ;) until i can afford another) I want to be able to use this one build as both server for my DVD collection and also backup of same DVDs stored in rar folders.

I want to be able to have DVDs and backup for each title separated across discs but do not want to end up with a structure where one disc holds only DVDs and the second only backups.

I want them to be written across both discs ie streamable dvd on diskA and backup of streamable dvd on diskB and vice versa. I reckon that by doing it this way i wont be in the position whereby a 'backup only' disk would remain spun down for months on end to possibly never be accessible gain at some future time. There will be off server backups of the rar'd folders as a last resort.

At least if the disc load is shared then each disc WILL be getting accessed.

I've looked at the user shares dialogue and cant fathom out how i can do this even using included/excluded disc parameters.

Anyone got any good ideas?

I'm sure there are others that can give you better advise but I'll give it a shot.

So if I understand you the DVDs you have on Disk1 will have it backups on Disk2 and the DVDs on Disk2 will have it's backups on Disk1 that way if you lose say Disk1 you still have Disk2 with a complete set in some version of DVDs and Backups.

I would probably make a share called "Backups A" and restrict it to Disk2 and a share called "Backups B" and restrict it to Disk1.

That part is easy but you probably would need to do the same for the DVDS by making 2 shares, 1 called "DVDs A" and restrict it to Disk1 (the opposite of "Backups A") and an other share called "DVDs B" and restrict that to Disk2 (the opposite of "Backups B).

The only issue with that depends on how you access the DVD shares. I use EyeTV for my TV programs and can only tell it to look at one share. You would need to access 2 shares "DVDs A" and "DVDs B" to have all your DVDs available at once.

You can enable AFP for the disk shares. If your running Mavericks, performance will be better using SMB. AFP is only required for Time Machine and is depreciated for file shareing.

I must be blind because I've looked for that but can not find that setting anywhere.

Give me a hint.

I'm not running Mavericks. I have a mix from 10.4.11 thru 10.8 with 10.6.8 being the most used.

I'm sure there are others that can give you better advise but I'll give it a shot.

So if I understand you the DVDs you have on Disk1 will have it backups on Disk2 and the DVDs on Disk2 will have it's backups on Disk1 that way if you lose say Disk1 you still have Disk2 with a complete set in some version of DVDs and Backups.

I would probably make a share called "Backups A" and restrict it to Disk2 and a share called "Backups B" and restrict it to Disk1.

That part is easy but you probably would need to do the same for the DVDS by making 2 shares, 1 called "DVDs A" and restrict it to Disk1 (the opposite of "Backups A") and an other share called "DVDs B" and restrict that to Disk2 (the opposite of "Backups B).

The only issue with that depends on how you access the DVD shares. I use EyeTV for my TV programs and can only tell it to look at one share. You would need to access 2 shares "DVDs A" and "DVDs B" to have all your DVDs available at once.

Using two shares A and B is the only way that I can see this working but then i'm unable to access them combined at the toplevel 'DVD' folder level (i use MB3).

This is actually really easy.

Set up a share for DVDs and backups that includes both disks. Then write the DVDs and backups directly to the disk shares. They will show up properly (combined) in the user share but you will have full control over where each DVD and backup ends up.

Is it?

How will i have 'full control over where each DVD and backup ends up? By writing to a disk share? Iwant to be able to write to the same share ie DVD or BACKUP and have some 'implicit' control which means that each set is written to a different disc. At present I only have two data disks but this will become scaleable and once that happens I lose control using the method you've described surely?