Questions regarding settings of a unraid ESXi VM

At the moment I have a unraid VM running in ESXi.

I configured 2 GB memory and 1 CPU. Will increasing this affect performance when rebuilding a disk or rebuilding parity?

I also added a M1015 controller as PCI device and it shows up as Symbios Logic LSI 2008. Should I change this into a SCSI controller, LSI Logic SAS? Again, will this affect performance when rebuilding a disk or rebuilding parity?

M1015 is just a rebranded lsi.

I assume you are doing hardware pass-through? So not sure how or where you mean to set the type.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Yes I set it up in pass through. In the VM it shows as SCSI controller 0, LSI Logic Parallel.

I added a PCI controller in the VM and attached the LSI 2008. Should I instead have added a SCSI controller 1 and attach the LSI Logic SAS? 

Attached a graphic showing my unRAID VM in ESXi.  The yellow highlight is my unRAID flash drive attached to the virtual USB controller.  Just above that is the VMDK boot drive.  The blue highlight is the M1015 passed through to the VM.  To the right you can see what ESXI shows as the device type to the right. 

unRAID_VM_setup.png.5d6bb37e5d8e267fd37b0b9e4af1a6bd.png

Thanks Bob,

Didn't you have a SCSI controller 0 at first, showing as LSI Logic Parallel? Or did you remove it?

That is if you want a VIRTUAL hard drive attached and would be one way you could attach the boot VMDK.  I changed mine to IDE when I first setup the VM.  Others have used SATA/SAS for the boot VMDK and SCSI might work as well.  But that is NOT your M1015 it is a virtual controller.  Your M1015 would shows up as the PCI pass through like mine.

I had to add a PCI controller before I could attach the Symbios Logic adapter. Did I do something wrong?

No but I think if you highlight "Hard Disk 1" in your graphic it will say it is attached to the "SCSI Controller" highlighted in your graphic.  If it isn't attached there then it is possible that it is attached as an IDE like mine and you could remove the "SCSI Controller" but only if "Hard Drive 1" is attached elsewhere.  As you can see from my graphic attached mine is attached as IDE.  But as I said I'm betting yours is attached as SCSI.  Nothing wrong with that just another way to setup your boot VMDK.

Showing_boot_VMDK_is_IDE.png.a6bd4f8104c51400cee4c24ea487d674.png

I had to add a PCI controller before I could attach the Symbios Logic adapter. Did I do something wrong?

No but I think if you highlight "Hard Disk 1" in your graphic it will say it is attached to the "SCSI Controller" highlighted in your graphic.  If it isn't attached there then it is possible that it is attached as an IDE like mine and you could remove the "SCSI Controller" but only if "Hard Drive 1" is attached elsewhere.  As you can see from my graphic attached mine is attached as IDE.  But as I said I'm betting yours is attached as SCSI.  Nothing wrong with that just another way to setup your boot VMDK.

You are absolutely correct!