"missing operating system" after cold reboot

Not sure what happened. Added a new drive to expand array, built fine. Able to write to it. Moved the case to a different spot. Booted fine, web gui fine but noticed some i/o error messages on the console when installing addons. Rebooted and get the message "missing operating system". Check BIOS and my USB stick is the first hard drive to boot. Disabled "INT 13h" on my two MV8 cards.

running 5.05 on supermicro x8sil-f

How to proceed? Note: no windows PC handy. ubuntu/debian only

Update: Tried the stick on another PC and can't boot so looks like it's dead. I have the whole flash drive backed up on my PC so what to try? fsck from my desktop?

The message indicates it's not booting from the flash drive OR the flash drive needs to be re-initialized with "make bootable".

If you're CERTAIN the BIOS boot order has the flash drive first in the order, then re-run make bootable.    But first be sure that's the case -- if it's enumerated as a USB flash drive, then USB needs to be first in the boot order;  if it's enumerated as a hard drive; then hard drives need to be first; and it needs to be first in the "hard drive order."  If your motherboard supports a boot-time boot-order hot key, press it, and select the flash drive to see if it boots that way.  If so, then the issue is the boot order.