Changing from ICY DOCK to iStar

Right now I am using Sata 3 shielded cables, but I am probably moving to this at the same time

SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card

2x 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 Unit of .5M Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable

and an extra pair of these to start me off

WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

The power supply is a PC P & C 750w single rail 60a, I am assuming I will be fine for power for a bit  :)

Right now I am using Sata 3 shielded cables, but I am probably moving to this at the same time

SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card

2x 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 Unit of .5M Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable

and an extra pair of these to start me off

WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

The power supply is a PC P & C 750w single rail 60a, I am assuming I will be fine for power for a bit  :)

[me=DaleWilliams]drools  :P [/me]

Everything is in and I am about to start on Friday and I know that the manual says no, but is there any real reason (other than their say so) that I can't use my new iStar 5 in 3's in conjunction with my old IcyDock 5 in 3? That would give me a 15 drive capacity (case max) without spending the extra 'c' note  :) or am I much better off just getting a new one and selling the old IcyDock 5 in 3?

I figured as much, but I ordered a third anyway...you know the vanity of having a server with matching cages and all...lol.

Anyway, I also ended up ordering some Molex / SATA adapters since trying to use the PS cable ends was not going to work without stressing the cage plugs. This will allow me to use 1 to 1 off of my lines so cable management will be a cinch  :), will update when all are installed and running.

Thanks for all the input

Ice

Just checking in, all is well and rockin' along, just as all you guys rock. a few pick  :)  (and no, I can't grin enough now...lol)

server_01_27.03.2014.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Still room for 6 more  :)

Thanks for all your help and input, I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but for now...i'm bushed.

Time to watch a movie  :)

Thanks,

Ice

Looks really nice -- definitely worth a few extra $$ to have all 3 cages the same  :)

It's clearly going to be a while before you NEED to add storage to it, since you've got over 8TB of free space ... but the first thing I'd do when that happens is replace the parity drive with a 4TB (or perhaps a 5TB by that time) and move the current parity drive to the array.    That will then let you buy 4 or 5TB drives when you need to add more space ... a far more efficient use of the available bays.

I had thought about doing that, but for now I just had one of the drives go red last night, this morning I checked all connections, and even moved the drive to check the backplane itself, I am now testing the drive on another system with L=WD DLGDIAG to see if it is actually the drive.

1. Smart test - OK

2 - Quick Test - OK

2 Extended test - Running (3 hours to go)

I am hoping this will be an isolated incident and not a 'shape of things to come' since I 'upset the apple cart' as it were.

I have just never heard of changes causing an issue such as this (of course unless there is a spike or something of that nature) this as I am fairly well versed in the anti magnetic and careful handling of these devices and nothing was jostled or overheated.

Any ideas off-hand would be greatly appreciated

I will post back when it is finished, I will also pop it back in, reboot and post log (i know I forgot to save the log when it happened, shame on me).

Archived